Chapter 45

It's been a week since the incident at the party and I've been steering clear of Damon. I can't believe he would be so angry and careless as to hurt someone else. He was drunk and disorderly I guess but that's no excuse. Hayden's right, I need to stop making excuses for Damon. It's time for him to fix himself and own his faults.

I take the hair tie from my teeth and gather my hair into a high ponytail. I tie it into place and pull the two parts of hair apart to make it tighter. I grab my phone and jog downstairs. The smell of chicken and potatoes hit me in the face as I walk into the kitchen, the aroma putting me in a good mood.

"You need help?" I ask Grayson, walking towards him.

He smiles at me. "Sure. Cut these beans and don't cut yourself"

I pick up a knife and start cutting the green beans, tossing the finished ones in a silver bowl next to the cutting board.
Grandma and grandpa (from my dads side) are coming over for dinner tonight for a visit. I haven't seen them since I was ten. They always claimed to be busy.
"Busy"

The doorbell rings just as I finish the beans.

"I'll get it!" Ethan yells from the living room.

"You don't have to yell!" Grayson yells back.

"You do know you're both yelling, right?" I say, raising an eyebrow.

He laughs and shakes his head. "Touché"

"When are the grandparents here?" I ask.

"An hour"

"Imma go shower and change"

I jog upstairs and open my door, my eyes widening as a strange woman with gloves is cleaning up my room. I slowly back away, as not to be heard and run downstairs, clearing my throat.

"Yes?" Ethan asks, raising an eyebrow at me.

"Why is there a lady on my room?"

"She's cleaning up the house before grandma and grandpa get here"

"Yes, but I like my room cluttered up" I say.

"I know sweetie, but grandma and grandpa won't like it. They hate mess"

"It's not mess! It's cozy!"

"Alyssa," Ethan chuckles. "We know how you feel about your room, but please bear with us tonight"

"She moved my books from beside my bed!"

"Where are they now?" Ethan asks.

"On my desk!"

"So?" Grayson laughs. "Just walk to your desk and grab your books"

"No! It's too far" I whine.

"Cmon, Alyssa. One night"

"Guys, she moved my books!"

"So you've said"

"Ughh!"

"One night"

"Fine! One night!" I grumble.

I stomp upstairs and head towards my shower.

I shower and get dressed quickly. Jeans and an oversized knit sweater. Perfect for me.
I  blow dry and brush my hair, the dampness making it a little wavy. At least it's soft and shiny.

I spray on some perfume and walk downstairs. I enter the living room and take a deep breath as I see my grandparents. They look the same as they did four years ago.

"Hey," I say shyly.

"Alyssa! Come here, let me get a good look at you!" Grandma exclaims, smiling ear to ear.

I walk over and let grandma prod and poke at me, pointing out advice for wearing less makeup and shit like that.

***

"Bye, grandma, grandpa" I say, hugging them both.

They barely hug me back and mutter quick goodbyes to the twins before jumping in their car and leaving. Grayson shuts the door and walks back to the table to clear up.

"Well they were warm" I say, rolling my eyes.

Ethan chuckles and pats my shoulder. "That's why we visit other grandma!"

I walk to the table and help Grayson clear up.

"Honey, I got this. Go sit and rest your wrist"

"I'm tired of just sitting and doing nothing" I sigh.

"Hey, come here" Ethan says, patting the spot on the couch next to him. "I'll help him"

I sit on the couch and pull out my phone. A text from Hayden pops up and another one from Damon. It's another apology.

I roll my eyes. Can't he just leave me alone?

I click onto Hayden's message and smile when I read it.

Hayden- How are you?

Me- I'm okay. You?

Hayden- I think I'm actually liking the bruises on my face. They've attracted a few girls and I likey!

I roll my eyes and tap out a quick reply.

"Alyssa-" Grayson says, exchanging a glance with Ethan.

I fake a yawn and stand up. Whenever they get serious like this its usually leading to a talk. This whole week the boys have been trying to get a better grasp of what happened at the party. Whenever they do this I fake being sleepy and say goodnight to avoid it.

"I'm really tired. I think I'll go to bed now"

The twins nod and say goodnight as I start climbing the stairs to my room. I change into my usual bedtime attire and go to sleep.

***