Chapter 88

Alyssa's POV

It's been a week and Grayson and I are barely speaking. He tried to apologize to me but it ended in an argument again when he found out I went to Damon's without permission. Along with my dislike for Amy, it doesn't mix well with Grayson and I feel divided from the one person who I thought would always be on my side. 

Ethan, on the other hand, has been on my side at least seventy per cent of the time. He's been trying to bring Grayson and I closer together but so far it hasn't been working. Emma's also been great. She's been on my side one hundred per cent on this Amy topic and it feels like I have a sister with me when she's around. 

***

4 pm

***

"I just feel like we're strangers," I sigh, wrapping my hands around the hot mug of coffee in front of me. "It's annoying, and it's exactly what Amy wants. She smiles every time we have an argument and it makes me sick that he doesn't realize how bad I feel"

Emma gives me a sympathetic smile and takes a sip of her own coffee. "Have you tried talking to him? Like, a proper sit-down conversation?"

I shake my head no. "He's always out. Whenever I try to talk to him it always ends in yelling"

I'm with Emma in our usual cafe. School ended thirty minutes ago and since I don't have homework today I decided to meet with Emma. I value this time because it means I can talk to Emma without the twins around. I can also tell her anything and everything because she keeps my secrets. Emma's pretty cool. 

"Do you want me to talk to Ethan?" Emma sighs. "I don't want you to feel so upset, honey. I see how bad you've been feeling recently. So down and tired and sad. It hurts me to see you like this, and if you can't talk to Grayson then at least talk to Ethan"

I shake my head. "Don't. I'm fine, I promise. I'm just stressed about school, Amy, Grayson and other shit but I'll get it together"

"It's not easy to do, Alyssa. Especially with your anxiety"

Emma's right. Juggling all these things and thoughts have not been easy and my anxiety has felt worse. I force myself to smile.

"Emma, I promise that I'm okay for now"

She sighs but nods. "Alright, but you have to promise me that you'll come to me if you feel worse, mkay?"

I nod. "I promise"

***

Emma drives me back home and Ethan asks her to stay the night. She accepts and I'm happy until I find out that Grayson also has invited Amy over to spend the night and have dinner. 

I roll my eyes and Grayson sighs, pulling me into the hall.

"Alyssa, you need to be on your best behaviour tonight, I mean it. Amy feels bad about coming here because you two can't get along. She truly wants to have a relationship with you"

I look him straight in the eyes and don't say anything. He sighs. 

"Alyssa, please just be nice"

"No!"

He sighs again and pinches the bridge of his nose, shutting his eyes. "Aly, there's no time to be defiant. You're acting like a five-year-old"

I shrug. "I don't really care. Respect goes both ways and your girlfriend doesn't have any for that matter"

He frowns and I know I've touched a nerve. He absolutely hates any digs at his girlfriend. 

"Listen here, young lady. Do you want to spend the evening upstairs in your bedroom?"