introduction

P.EVANS + J.POTTER

<1>
birthday flame

ON JANUARY 30, 1960, TWO GIRLS BY THE NAME OF LILY AND PETUNIA EVANS WERE BORN.

the twins with differences

*

One girl was born with a gift, while the other was left behind in more ways than one.

*

        ON A VERY COLD JANUARY NIGHT, the Evans family was sat around a small, wooden table, singing Happy Birthday to the two smiling girls.

        One with golden blonde hair and the other fiery red, were staring down at the candles before them, watching as the light pink wax slowly melt away from the fire.

        Petunia Evans, always being excited about her birthday, interlocked her fingers with her sister, bouncing her leg to the tune of Happy Birthday as it continued to chorus throughout the home — And Lily Evans, being the more calm of the two, patiently sat with a smile on her face.

       Isabel and Thomas Evans, the parents of the twins, dramatically belt out the song, even coming up with their own version to both entertain and annoy the two girls. However, once the song had surpassed a minute, Petunia couldn't wait any longer, leading the small girl to blow out the eleven candles that were scattered along the cake.

And with that — she dug in.

And Lily followed.

The two girls did not hold back their messy side as they dug into the vanilla cake. Though, Petunia was the worst of the two, as she opted to eat with her hands — the same hands she used to tuck her hair in behind her ears.

At the younger twins action, Isabel Evans had scoffed, gently slapping the girl's hand away from her hair once more — ultimately deciding she should probably grab some napkins. Though, as she stood, she did receive rapid protests from her husband once he realized she was leaving the room.

Without a care in the world, Petunia had continued to eat her birthday cake. She'd been so caught up in the treat, she hadn't realized that the once busy chatter and laughs had died down when her mom entered the room. Again, Petunia was so distracted, she didn't realize that her mom had come back with more than just a stack of napkins, but also a letter that was only addressed to one of the Evans twins.

Lily Evans.

It was only once her dad had asked, "What is it?" when Petunia joined the conversation. Though, the words that left her parents lips sounded foreign to her. Hogwarts. Witchcraft and Wizardry. Dumbledore.

Unbeknownst to Petunia or Lily, this single letter, addressed to only one girl in the household, would ruin a sisterly bond like none other. The special school that Petunia would not be able to enter, would be a place that her sister would leave her behind, stop communication until the holidays, and make Petunia change for the worse.

P.EVANS + J.POTTER