5

P.EVANS + J.POTTER

HELLO LOVIES:,)

<5>
resting now

      REMUS LUPIN FELT RATHER alone for the winter holidays. However, he wasn't truly. His sick mother was still there, resting on the couch. And on this rare occurrence, his dad had gotten a week off from work — using his time to roast turkey for dinner.

      Remus was sitting beside his mother, his chin rested on his palm as he stared at the sleeping woman. She had thinned out significantly since he had last seen her. Her skin was a pale as snow, her body as weak as a stem. Hope's breaths were rather ragged that stormy night — and occasionally, it would appear more-so like a cough, indicating that the air wasn't flowing as clearly as it should.

     The boy kept the fireplace lit, sometimes adding sticks to it. And softly, he would hum his mother's favorite tunes — hoping that would calm her from her bad state.

     Though, the more he looked to her, the more his emotions would rise. And because of that, a strangled sob would hide in his throat, making his hums mere whimpers in response.

tears fell onto her arm.

      "My first semester went rather well," He said, his voice barely above a whisper, "My grades are good, i'm keeping up on my schoolwork—" He memorized out his answer, knowing it's what she'd want to hear.

       And as his words soon drowned into silence, his mind trying to tell him what to say next — he bit back his lip, no longer looking at the woman before him.

      "I did what you told me," He continued, somehow making his voice lower than before. "I told him how I felt."

Remus couldn't hold back the small smile.

      "He returned the feelings, mum," He looked up to Hope in excitement, only to let them fall a second later — forgetting she was asleep. "He returned the feelings," he went back to his small voice, shortly shaking his head in disbelief.

She still hadn't responded.

       "I think I love him," Remus admitted, not letting himself stutter at his words. "I know I do.. I just haven't told him yet," He shortly added, "Mostly for the fact that I am scared. Because with everything that's going on." Remus detailed, "Y'know, with you know who, my monthly cycles, Petunia," He glanced down to his ring, seeing the bright pink glow. "I almost told her about the.. problem," He looked back to her, "I decided to tell her something more important though," He smiled, reaching for her cold hand, "You."

          Remus, like before, fell silent at his words — stroking his thumb against Hope's pale hand as he kept his gaze on her. The fire was growing dim behind him, but at this moment, he didn't seem to notice. Remus was distracted by his mother, who seemed quieter than usual as she laid in her spot.

"Mum?"

      Like he thought, no answer was given. And without much thought, the young boy swiftly removed his hand from his mum's, bringing it to her arm instead.

     "Mum?" He tried again, more urgency in his tone than before. But even as he shook her, not one indication of life was displayed on her — her body staying still.

     "Dad!" He switched his words, taking a step in the direction of the kitchen. But he hadn't made it far before Lyall Lupin had rushed into the room, his eyes barely briefing a glance at his son before looking to his wife.

     "Hope?" His voice cracked, much like Remus's wanted too. "Love?" Lyall continued, rushing past the boy as he looked to his wife.

     Though, like Remus's previous attempt, not one thing was waking up the sick woman. And as the two fell into a deathly silence, their breaths wavering like hers did previously — it only lasted a moment. Because just as quickly, Remus ran to his house phone, dialing for help as Lyall did all he could to save his wife.

but it was no use.

and they knew that.

      But even then, the two were in denial, not believing this would actually happen to them. They knew she was getting worse, but they convinced themselves she was getting better. The more her appearance had changed, the more they told themselves that she'd always looked like that.

It couldn't be real.

      But no air was leaving her lungs and no beat was escaping her heart. Hope Lupin had her eyes fluttered shut, a peaceful look on her old, pale face as she'd fallen to the end of her life.

2 days before christmas.

so very short but this act will have more parts than previous ones!
also, for the layout of this story, there will be a very short ACT 9.5 which will be summary's of horcrux hunting (and that will be it)
on the other hand, ACT 10 will be a time jump to Oct 31st, 1981 (where we will see the traitor fully)
:)

P.EVANS + J.POTTER