6.5

P.EVANS + J.POTTER

<6.5>
back aches and butterflies

THE HARD FLOORING OF THE LIVING room was no longer comfortable to Petunia, especially as she was already laying at an awkward angle, making her back ache incredibly. So, as she tried to shift up and towards one of the free couches, she was surprised to be stopped by an arm draped across her stomach.

she froze.

And as she glanced down, her tired eyes grew even wider to see the familiar glowing ring on the hand, brightly glowing purple.

sad.

     And when she studied her own ring, seeing as it was also brightly glowing — she was confused to see green.

happy.

Petunia was not happy.

     "We might as well switch," She mused quietly, being as careful as she could to lift Remus's hand, instead draping it on a sleeping Sirius.

he hid a smile.

petunia's ring went brighter.

she didn't notice.

Pulling herself up, a quiet groan had escaped her lips, feeling as her back tightened with pressure. But she ignored it, eyeing the arrangements of everyone.

Peter was sitting up, laying his back against the wall as his head tilted to the side. Marlene was in the corner, laying in a starfish position as Dorcas used her stomach as a pillow. And almost following the latter, Lily had her head on Dorcas's leg, sleeping soundlessly. Sirius and Remus were now cuddling — and finally, her eyes met James sleeping form. As he was the only one on the couch, the curly haired boy was shivering on the sofa, his hand awkwardly falling off with the glasses between his fingers.

Petunia had to stop herself from staring.

Instead, she went to the small basket in the corner, grabbing the last two blankets there. And she first headed to Peter, covering him the best she could with his uncomfortable position.

Then, as she headed to James, Petunia gently removed his glasses from his hand and placed them on the table next to him. Being overly careful as she tucked him in, scared she'd wake him.

Though, a startled expression soon caught her face as she met James eye, who sent her a tired wink.

she gave him a small slap.

    "James Julius Potter!" she whispered at him, and he rolled his eyes in response — pretending to wince at her hit, "Why didn't you tell me you were awake!"

"It's Fleamont."

Petunia's brows furrowed.

     "My middle name is Fleamont-" He shortly explained, and Petunia was quick to stop him, "Yeah, no, I get it," She hushed out, "It just sounds familiar," she lightly continued.

she hadn't even realized she gripped her locket.

"Fleamont sounds familiar?" He almost laughed, "I feel like you make up half the shit you say."

she scoffed.

    Petunia dramatically threw her hand over her heart, "How could you think so less of me," she pushed out her bottom lip into a pout, "I solemnly swear I have never lied," Petunia said, as she lied.

It went quiet.

"Anyways," she cheekily smiled, "go to bed, it's..." she paused, glancing up at the clock on the wall, "four in the morning."

      And as she went to stand up, continuing her care for the others, James heaved out a long and loud sigh — leading Petunia to give him an unimpressed look.

"Yes, your majesty?"

     James comfortably shifted on the couch, looking at her hopeful as she stood there, crossing her arms. Though, as the words were about to leave his lips, he, surprisingly to Petunia, turned bright red — shaking his head.

She perked up at this.

      "What?" She asked, taking a step closer, "Are you?" she peeked closer, "Are you blushing?"

He let out a forced laugh.

       "Me?" He breathed out, "blushing?" he continued — and Petunia nodded quickly, pointing at him, "You are!"

"no!"

"Aww, Jamesies—"

"shut up."

     Petunia did, but still let her triumphant smile break through. And to his surprise, the blonde took another step closer to him, bending over to face him better. They both shared the feeling of butterflies.

      And as James eyes slightly lowered to her lips, Petunia felt her own face heat up. Her heart was pounding with adrenaline, and she immediately felt wide awake.

      "Use your words." She spoke softly, leading the boy to flicker his eyes back to hers. His mouth formed a nervous smile.

And Petunia laughed — shaking her head.

She set a soft kiss against his warm cheek.

he grew redder

and she smiled at her affect.

     "Happy New Years, James," she said softly, giving the red-faced boy a subtle wink, "and get some rest."

      And as she turned away, Petunia could barely hear the words "Merlin's sake," leave his lips.

remus's ring flashed from purple to green.

Petunia was happy.

__
y'all idk how you got this far — i tried to start from the beginning and had to stop at 1.5 in ACT ONE because i cringed so bad. lmao. thank you all for your support, much love <3
P.EVANS + J.POTTER