7

P.EVANS + J.POTTER

i honestly can't wait until fall

<7>
necklace of remembrance

JAMES, PETUNIA, AND SIRIUS weren't able discuss much further on the topic. Because after what Sirius had said, which caused a short silence between the trio, Mia had walked into the room, calling them for dinner.

Petunia tried to hide the fact that her mind was somewhere else as she sat down at the long table — not wanting to show any suspicion to the parents. Though, she appreciated the fact that Sirius was acting like his usual self, distracting the two grownups as he continued his humor. She knew that he was also thinking about their prior conversation, but Sirius was good at hiding his thoughts. He had grown up faking emotion, even if it was considered unhealthy.

James also was more quiet than his usual self. But like Sirius, he tried to act decently normal. He would laugh at Sirius's antics, he would join in on conversation when needed — including Petunia when he felt it was necessary.

it flew by.

       And when it did end, Petunia found herself subconsciously doing what she had always done before. Collecting people's plates, being careful as she grabbed silverware and sharp knives. It was she what did at home — what she was ordered to do after every meal. Petunia didn't give her actions a second thought as she peered into the next room, seeing if it was the kitchen.

         The small family watched her as she collected everything and Mia had even seen James stand from his seat, going to help her. Though, he was stopped. Because Mia held her hand up to stop him, deciding herself to follow the blonde into the kitchen — already seeing the girl cleaning the plates.

        "You've already beat the boys on their chores," Mia laughed, nodding her head to a board on the side, "And you don't even have any."

       Petunia smiled at the comment, feeling slightly awkward now that she realized her actions. And as she followed the direction of Mia's glance, the girl saw the board.

Chores

James : lll

Sirius : llll

         "Sirius only did the dishes once," Mia shook her head at the writing, "He only made that many lines to 'one-up James'" She quoted him, making her voice deeper than before. "Whatever that means."

        "I've had a fair share of the so called 'one-ups' from Sirius," Petunia smiled into her words, "It ended up with him being in the bathroom for a few hours," She stared back down to the dirty plates, "But it was hilarious."

       The sound of Mia's laugh, which was more than comforting to Petunia as she heard it, became louder as the woman stood next to her, grabbing a plate to clean.

      "Pardon my question," The woman continued, sending a brief look to the girl, "But have we met before?"

      Petunia was thrown off by the question. And as she also sent her own look to the woman, she struggled to respond — not knowing had to bring up her past and the rules that followed it.

       "You just look familiar," Mia decided to continue over the silence, handing Petunia the plate to dry off, "And.." She trailed, turning off the water and wiping her hands, "I swear I've seen that necklace before."

       Petunia was listening intently, setting down the plate as she nodded along. She didn't truly believe the woman had seen her before. It was impossible. Petunia never left the house. But when the small mention of her necklace overtook her ears, the blonde couldn't help but grip the locket, her mind going back to that day.

      "You actually may have," Her voice turned weak, almost like it was apologetic. And when Mia heard the change, she took a step closer to her, a frown slowly forming on her face. "I got this a long time ago. I got one for my si—"

     "Your sister," Mia finished her sentence, remembering the memory fondly. Though, as Petunia seemed almost upset, she was confused as to why. "Did something happen?"

Petunia shook her head.

       "Not in the way you're probably thinking," She responded shortly, biting back her lip as she turned to face Mia. "She didn't accept it like I thought she would."

Mia watched as she tried to shrug off the comment.

"How come?"

      "She already had one," Petunia spoke, letting Mia take the chain in her own hand, "Didn't want two of the same."

        "What a shame," Mia almost scoffed, "To beautiful to be turned down," She shook her head. "Who did you end up giving it to then."

Petunia's cheeks went pink from embarrassment.

       Not wanting to say that, at that time, she didn't have any friends. Not wanting to say she had the smallest ounce of hope the Lily would change her mind. Petunia stayed quiet in response. And Mia nodded in understanding.

"Do you have anyone in mind?"

      Petunia, again, was waiting to deny that any other option had crossed her mind. But before she could, she was interrupted. Because James had walked into the room, staring at the two girls in silence.

the blonde suddenly changed her mind.

"I do, actually."

P.EVANS + J.POTTER