3

P.EVANS + J.POTTER

<3>
aching realization

          PETUNIA WAS THE FIRST TO awaken on Christmas morning. With her stomach rumbling in hunger, the youngest twin jumped from her bed, immediately climbing over her messy flooring to get to the hallway.

          Her bare feet thudded against the hardwood flooring as she rushed in front of Lily's door, quietly knocking to wake the red head up. And then, just after the third knock, Lily opened the door, giving a tired and annoyed look to her sister.

        "Can you not?" She spoke groggily, pushing back the hair that continuously fell in her face. Though, despite Lily's words, Petunia's face still lit up as that was the first time she heard her voice in months.

       "Good morning, Lils!" She responded cheerily, bouncing on her heels, "And Merry Christmas."

       "Yes," Lily responded shortly, "Merry Christmas," She added, this time with a short smile appearing.

Petunia's smile grew.

       Christmas day was both Petunia and Lily's favorite holiday. Typically for the two girls, the twins would wake up early and bundle up, running outside to play in the crystal white snow. No matter if it was a fort, snow angles, or a snowball fight, the two would always have a blast.

And, as their noses and cheeks would burn red, Thomas Evans would call them inside, already having hot chocolate with candy canes prepared for them.

And, of course, the gifts.

With that in mind, Petunia suggested to go outside like they used too, but Lily looked bothered by the suggestion, seeing as the snow continuously fell by the second.

"Aren't we a little too old for that?" She asked wearily, earning a playful eye roll from her sister.

"What? Too old to go outside?" She spoke jokingly, "No one is ever too old for a snowball fight."

Though, despite her response, Lily still wasn't convinced by her sister. So, instead, she walked back into her room and placed on a pair of warm socks before grabbing her quill and some parchment, making her way past her sister and into the living room.

Petunia felt defeated for a moment.

"What are you doing then?" she asked curiously, following her twin into the room and sitting beside her.

Lily sighed at her action.

"Writing a letter, wishing my friends a happy Christmas," Lily responded, keeping her eyes focused on the paper in front of her.

Petunia, still more than curious, found herself glancing down at her sister's parchment, reading the words as they were written down. And as she did so, though the girl didn't admit it at the time, her heart lurched as she saw the continuous lines Lily would write down for her friends. It had only been a day since the red head had last seen them, so Petunia was confused on how she had so much to say to them.