7

P.EVANS + J.POTTER

thank you for 647K
ILYYYY
THANK YOU
I APPRECIATE YOU

<7>
sheep hair>>

"Do you ever wish you could be an animal?"

        The continuous conversation between Petunia and James had gone on for hours. After the tone of her previous story telling fell downwards, causing a negative pitch to surround the duo — Petunia was quick to take away James's formed anger on Vernon Dursley, instead wanting to hear about his own home life.

     And much to his dismay, after hearing her repeated pleas to not discuss the boy back home, James obliged to her request — saying any memory that came to mind.

      The spectacled boy had left out some details as he spoke about his home-life, however. Knowing that some of the horrid stories surrounding Sirius's arrival would do nothing besides dim the light.

he didn't want that to happen again.

     So, instead, he talked about all of the happy memories. James had rekindled every thought he had with Sirius and his two parents — and was even confused to see Petunia almost looking lost as he said their name.

like before, they sounded so familiar.

    Though, as he spoke and as she listened — Petunia's focus had soon become fixated on a small animal hiding in the tall grass surrounding them.

and she smiled at the sight of it.

      A few inches tall, a few inches wide, the light colored animal was swaying to the wind that approached it — matching the grass that failed to hide it. It was fuzzy, but not too furry — as it still found itself being chilled from the weather.

that's when Petunia had asked:

"Do you ever wish you could be an animal?"

     James almost thought it was a trick question when the blonde had abruptly asked that. But as his eyes followed her own sight, the boy had just realized she'd gotten distracted.

and he almost laughed at his anxiousness.

      "I truly wonder what it would be like to be an animal," he stated rather casually. And Petunia even cocked her head at his tone, not yet meeting his eyes. she swore she heard sarcasm.

"You never told me what animal you'd be."

james did laugh at that.

     "What did you assign me that one night?" he smiled through his words, letting his glasses fall to the tip of his nose, "A goat?"

Petunia scoffed at that.

     "A sheep!" she mocked offense, already knowing what he was thinking as he rolled his eyes, "They are not the same thing!"

her smile was only growing.

"Why a sheep?"

it faltered

Petunia looked stumped for a moment.

    But as her eyes scanned his features, slowly making their way up to his hair — an almost mischievous look crossed her face, bringing her hands up to his curly locks, ruffling them between her fingers.

"Sheep hair!"

James, this time, scoffed.

And without a moment of thought, he spoke,

"Well... You'd be a rabbit!"

she blinked.

"Rabbits are cute?"

he paused

"You aren't even going
to ask why?"

"Why?"

"You do the nose scrunch
thing!"

petunia gasped.

"I do not!"

the blonde was surprised to see him imitate it.

And almost on cue, she ruffled her hair into a pit of messiness, trying her best to deepen her voice as she sarcastically said "look at me, I play quidditch!"

the two paused once she said that.

And almost like they'd timed it, the duo fell into a pit of laughter, not backing down from making fun of the other.

James's glasses were now falling off his face and Petunia's wild strands blocked her eyes from seeing anything in front of her — the two were blinded.

But as happiness filled the air, the sunset approaching every few minutes, letting the pink hues outline the trees that surrounded them — hiding any feeling of eeriness. James and Petunia helped each other off the small rock they were now falling off of, dirtying their pants in the process.

And as if they planned it, Petunia placed the glasses back onto his nose and James pushed back her hair, safely tucking it behind her ears.

They were both still laughing, genuineness spilling from their crooked smiles and crinkled eyes — Petunia's heart was heavy from the feeling of James's hands, which were now warming her pink cheeks.

And he stared at her.

At every feature and detail he could see. The boy was subconsciously moving his thumb over the corners of her cheeks, almost leaning in as he wanted to kiss her.

but he didn't.

Because he spoke instead.

"i love you."

P.EVANS + J.POTTER