2

P.EVANS + J.POTTER

<2>
vision - 3

PETUNIA COULD BARELY CATCH HER breath as she stumbled into her next vision —
already knowing this one was different from the rest.

Because this time, Petunia stared back at herself, through the reflection of a mirror. Her hair was slightly longer, tears were streaming down her face, and her lip was quivering rather harshly. The girl felt a deep depression hit her as she looked at herself, wiping away the stray tears as she heard the approaching footsteps.

She felt herself look towards the sound.

Towards James, who stood in the doorway, with a firm frown on his face at the sight of her. And she watched as he didn't hesitate to drop the bags in his hands, immediately coming up to her and pulling her into a tight hug.

"I'll be alright," His voice muffled into her hair, his arms squeezing her tighter as she barely nodded back, "It'll only be a week or two."

Petunia almost ignored his words as she had her hands wrapped around his waist, holding tighter than ever as she didn't want him to go. It was dangerous. She knew that, so did he.

he can't go.

"Voldemort won't make it easy," Petunia heard herself stutter, slightly pulling back to look up to him. "You're stealing a part of his... well.. soul." Her voice grew quieter at the end of her sentence. "It's a bloody horocrux."

"That we have the location to," James tried to calm her, bringing his hands to her waist before softly placing a kiss to her cheek. "I promise to be safe."

Petunia felt herself scoff at his words.

"And my vision?" Her brows forcefully furrowed, looking directly into his eyes. "About you never coming back?" She felt herself bite back her lip, "You think I'm supposed to just sit here? Pretend I didn't see that — not believe it." Petunia felt herself speak rapidly, her words going faster after each second.

James stared back at her, his eyes continuously flickering back in forth between her two eyes. His hands were now placed on each of her cheeks, letting his thumbs comfortably glide against her skin.

"I did something," He leaned toward her, his nose grazing against her own as they now touched foreheads, "Mum helped me," He kept his focus on her. "And I think it will help."

Petunia could feel as her heart beat faster in her chest — she could feel as her future self tried to hide the desperation that invaded her mind.

"What is it?"

James did not remove his forehead from her own, though, he did move a single hand away from her cheek — causing the cool air to make her cheeks taint pink. And instead, the boy brought his hand down to hers, softly taking it as he brought it back to necklace that they shared — making her wrap her hand around it.

"Pay attention," He lightly teased, letting a small smile linger on his face as he released her hand. And Petunia suddenly felt a wave of concentration hit her as James reached for his matching locket, gripping it like she did with hers.

Petunia felt her locket grow warm.

And at the realization, Petunia felt herself forced away from him, staring at him widely as she glanced down to her locket. "How did you do that?"

James snickered in response, making him earn a smack from Petunia. Though, her action didn't do much as he continued, his smile beaming even more than before as he said, "I'm a wizard, darling."

Petunia felt herself roll her eyes at the comment, stopping herself from smiling as she did so. And the girl was forced into crossing her arms, looking up to him. "Promise to do this all the time," she heard herself say.

And James nodded to her words, cocking his head to the side as he faked a pout. "What would you ever do without me," He dramatically pointed out, again, leading the girl to scoff. "I would probably miss me this much too, if I were you," He continued, ignoring her look. "I'm pretty great."

"Don't fall over with that big head of yours," Petunia heard herself counter, "I feel like I'm talking to Sirius right now."

"Ouch!" he placed a hand over his heart, "You've wound me, Tuna!"

"Oh no!" Petunia dramatically called back, "If only I cared!"

"Gasp!"

"I love you!"

her sight of him slowly faded — the room mixing into disoriented colors all at once. Her vision had changed again, but only slightly.

      This time she found herself on a bed, a small journal on her lap with writing inside. It was dark outside, crickets tangling into the sound of her pen going against the parchment.

      Petunia read the words as she forcefully wrote them, realizing she was talking about her day and how she was currently doing.

       It was similar to a letter — even including the words dear james and love, petunia. Though, she knew she wasn't sending these to him, that she couldn't — that it could be dangerous for him, or even her.

      And Petunia watched in curiosity as her visioned-self flipped back a few pages, letting the day by day stories stack up with each day James was gone. And even so, she felt patient, okay even, as she waited for him.

      Petunia felt as her hand was moved up to her now charmed necklace, waiting for the familiar warmth to invade it like every other night.

Petunia waited.

And she waited.

But the signal never came.

Her locket never warmed.

P.EVANS + J.POTTER