4

P.EVANS + J.POTTER

i need good netflix recs 😭

<4>
familiarity in faces

        THE SMELL OF CHOCOLATE CHIP cookies swarmed the Potter household as the trio had entered. Petunia was still nervous, holding both boys' hands as they also carried in her luggage — though, she felt slightly better than before, mostly for James's wordy reveal that happened just a moment ago.

        The house was already much cozier than the Evans one. With soft yellow walls, picture frames filling the room with smiling family photos, Petunia felt at home already — even when only seeing the first room.

       Soft sounds of jazz echoed from what she assumed was the kitchen, which also displayed a gentle voice over the music, making up lyrics as the sounds of drums and a saxophone repeated their tunes.

Petunia let her eyes linger, finding any small detail she could in the room. And because of that, she was slightly startled to find a set of eyes looking back at her, a large smile soon reaching his face.

"Mia!" His voice boomed down the hallway, causing the jazz music to come to a halt, "Our company's here!"

Petunia's face went red from embarrassment.

But she tried to hide it, biting back her nervous smile as she squeezed James's hand out of comfort. Sirius, however, had opted to leave her grip — jumping onto one of the few couches in the living room.

"Sirius Orion Potter what did I say about shoes on the couch," Another voice wafted into the room, leading Petunia to watch as a woman walked in, smacking Sirius with a small towel in her hand. "I swear i'll make you do dishes tonight," She tried her best to threaten, but couldn't hold back the laugh that escaped through her words.

And as she glanced up, finally looking to Petunia, her smile gleamed brighter — a small look of recognition hitting her eyes.

"There she is!" Her tone was nothing but kind, swiftly making her way past Sirius and towards Petunia, pulling her into a tight hug. "Even prettier in person, aren't you?"

Petunia didn't know if she was actually supposed to answer that. So, as she stayed quiet, she let her hand venture out of James's — straight towards Mia, hugging her back just as tightly.

"It's lovely to meet you."

Petunia didn't even know if Mia could hear her.

Her voice was shy, but sweet, as it left her lips. And Petunia let her chin rest against the women's shoulder, feeling as Mia rubbed her back gently.

"I'm so sorry for your loss," She whispered to her, not letting the others hear. "You're forever welcome here, I hope you know that."

the blonde's breath hitched.

Petunia had tensed at the words spoken to her, but tried to hide the small waver that occurred. Instead, she opted for a short nod, smiling despite Mia not being able to see it.

The woman had only known her for a few seconds and already offered her family and home to Petunia. The blonde wasn't used to this treatment — especially this early on to meeting them.

"Thank you."

Mia smiled, slightly pulling away.

And as she stared down at her, keeping her hands on Petunia's shoulders — Petunia watched as she glanced down to her neck, her hand mindlessly moving to the chain around it.

Mia's eyebrows furrowed.

Though, before she could speak, Fleamont had made his way to her side, holding his hand out to Petunia, introducing himself.

      "Don't let Sirius convince you to do his chores," He spoke shortly, ignoring the small scoff from Sirius in return — Fleamont leaned in closer, "He's been planning on it since he's heard of your arrival."

Petunia cocked her head to the boy.

"Which chores?"

        "I was not planning on making you do my chores," Sirius mocked disbelief, his hand slapping his chest as if it hurt, "I would never make you—" his words fell short as Petunia narrowed her eyes. "— Only the dishes.."

"And?"

"The laundry."

Mia slapped him with the rag, again.

      "We have a room set up for you," She tried to continue the previous conversation, her eyes falling to James, "Would you show her?" She then looked to Sirius, "Some of us still have to finish our—"

       "—Cleaning, I know," Sirius whined in return, twisting his body off the couch and onto the flooring, "Only because I am your favorite child" He belted, swiftly kissing Mia on the head as he rushed to the kitchen.

It went quiet at his departure.

     And almost in response, James took it upon himself to reconnect his hand with Petunia, bringing her to the first set of stairs.

     "Sirius will be waking you up very early," He started to explain, leading her to her room, "He doesn't mean too — he's just so bloody loud he can't help it," James lightly laughed, taking a corner, "Mum makes breakfast around 9ish, I can wake you up then if you'd like?" He briefly looked back, seeing her barely paying attention as she looked at the artwork in the hallways. "I'll take that as a yes."

     "For sure," She mumbled in response, not actually knowing what he said. "Your house is very big," Petunia acknowledged, "I swear we've already past this painting twice," She pointed to a random area, lightly smiling as she heard him laugh.

      "If you get lost I can find you," He sarcastically responded, stopping at a random door, "No Marauder's Map to help you here."

She rolled her eyes.

       "I can make my own damn map," She tried, watching as he opened the door, "And it'll be ten times better than your little.. coded one," She spoke, almost as if she was trying to convince herself rather than James.

      But even he seemed amused by her words, dramatically nodding in response as he walked into her room, falling onto the bed — pulling her next to him.

"I'm sure you could."

P.EVANS + J.POTTER