2.5

P.EVANS + J.POTTER

another day another chapter :D

this chapter has more tea, hehe

<2>
final goodbyes

         SECONDS FELT LIKE HOURS as Petunia awkwardly stared back at him. She didn't spare a glance at the blood on his face, she didn't look at his fist clenching in anger while he had his eyes locked on her. Petunia simply bit back her lip, trying to subside any words that might try and escape.

        James was still talking to him, continuing his venomous threats that made no sense to Vernon — since the word 'hex' and 'curse' were the key words he used. The boy wasn't thinking much as he talked down to him, letting the words flow easily. James didn't even realize that Vernon wasn't paying attention anymore.

but it was short lived

Because soon enough, two others had made their presence known — not feeling the tension as they happily made their way up to the group.

"Oh, dearest Petunia!" Henry's voice called first, soon being followed by, "We, your supposed mail carriers, have brought you a...." Oliver tried to continue, halting in his step as Henry shortly whispered, "letter," to him.

"A letter!"

James' rambling stopped.

And he finally looked back.

"Lover boy is here too!" Oliver continued on, and as he looked past the spectacled boy, his brows furrowed, "What happened to his face?"

silence.

     And as no one even thought about answering, Petunia cleared her throat, trying her best to muster a smile as she looked to the two boys. But even then, it faltered.

She didn't know how to look at them.

    After hearing about Amber, she was slightly on edge. She didn't know if she could trust them like once before. Obviously they weren't the best influences — nor the right crowd for her. But were they like Amber? Traitors, backstabbers who were waiting for the right moment to attack, kill, take — whatever they were asked to do.

Her step forward was barely noticeable.

     "You said something about a letter?" Her weak voice shifted into confidence, though, she didn't know how long that would last.

But she didn't let their smiles fool her.

     Henry was the first to approach, Oliver hot on his trail. The two, to her knowledge, still didn't know what had happened. They didn't know about the attack or deaths — that she would be leaving — possibly never returning.

     "This letter is... technically.. a few weeks old," Oliver awkwardly mumbled, his hand going to his neck out of embarrassment, "But Amber said it was okay if—"

"Amber wrote it?"

Henry nodded.

      "She said it was okay if we waited until you got home from school," Oliver shortly continued, pausing as if she'd interrupt again, "Just made sure we promised to give it to ya."

Her eyes looked to the envelope.

     It looked thin, almost like nothing was even inside. She almost thought nothing would be inside. That it would be some type of cruel joke she wanted to play on her. But then again, if what Oliver said was true — why would a joke be so important, why would Amber be so desperate to give it to her.

Her hand stayed at her side.

"Did you forget how to grab things?"

Henry snickered at his own question.

    And Petunia, again, tried her best to smile — to hide the deep thoughts that could spill any moment. She grabbed the letter. And was slightly surprised to not drop dead as soon as her hand touched the envelope — thinking it would be cursed just for her.

A weight lifted from her shoulders.

"Where is Amber now?"

Did she really want to know?

       "We don't know," Henry answered easily, a slight tone of jealousy lingering in his words. "She seemed like she was in a hurry to get out, basically threw the bloody letter at us and begged us to give it to you."

       "I ought to think she's back with that guy from before," Oliver continued, "She mentioned him once or twice."

"The guy she broke up with?"

       "Apparently another person was involved, I don't know — she didn't like to add many details," Henry huffed out, "She never mentioned the others name, but when Amber was with her.. bad news."

James looked at them curiously.

"How?"

      "She was acting different, more secretive," Oliver thought out, trying to remember those days, "Even worse than when she was with the guy."

More silence.

     "You said you didn't know the... girl's name, right?" Petunia asked next, watching as the two boys nodded. She looked to James shortly. "Do you what the guy's name was?"

At her question, the two groaned.

     "We've been trying to think of it all day!" Oliver complained, his voice being interrupted by Henry as he said, "I just remember it was stupid!"

Petunia simply stared in response.

James, however, had a breathy laugh.

     And the two couldn't help but watch as Oliver and Henry looked in all directions, hoping that something would be a hint. Oliver was snapping his fingers, or trying to, as he closed his eyes in concentration. And Henry, who went quiet after his previous words, simply looked lost in thought — right before mumbling, "Lucious."

Oliver gawked at him.

Petunia furrowed her brows.

Vernon stayed quiet, like before.

But James tensed at the name.

      "No one would name their kid, 'Lucious'," Oliver quipped, smacking Henry harshly in the arm — immediately earning a small ow in return.

But Petunia didn't focus on that.

She focused on James.

      His hand still bloody and bruised, his glasses still falling off his nose. The curly haired boy stared at Henry as the name left his lips, almost having a look of disbelief cross his face.

"Lucius?"

P.EVANS + J.POTTER