5

P.EVANS + J.POTTER

trigger warning - mention of self harm

<5>
vernon dursley

PETUNIA ALWAYS HAD THE KNACK for seeing good in people. Even when no good was truly there.

Vernon Dursley, a chubby boy with a quick temper, was Petunia's new neighbor. He was just two years older than the girl, making him 17 as she was still 15 until two months.

The Evans family, who brought the baked goods with them, greeted the new neighbors kindly. And as the three were invited inside quickly, Petunia was met with Vernon — Who sat rather close to the girl.

She didn't like that.

Their small family had stayed for dinner, learning more about each other as Vernon asked Petunia different questions — while also keeping a lingering gaze on the girl. And Petunia, who tried to keep up her positive facade, started to struggle after the third hour.

But to her luck, they finally left.

And with the short walk home, Isabel Evans couldn't help but ask her daughter what she thought — not knowing that Petunia had already formed a strong opinion on the boy.

Petunia felt indifferent by Vernon Dursley and even slightly nervous. And when she mentioned this slight detail to her mother, Isabel Evans was ecstatic at the news, misreading her daughter's words greatly.

The nervous pit in Petunia's stomach wasn't butterflies. But rather an instinct that the boy wasn't as good as she tried to see. Petunia didn't know if it was because of the awful way he talked to his parents, or rather the fact that whenever he got angry his fist would clench.

But deep down, Petunia knew that Vernon Dursley wasn't someone who she'd like to hang around with. However — the blonde was always trying to give everyone an equal chance, and she wanted to be that way with her neighbor as well. So, fighting her inner judgement, she gave the boy a second chance.

And unbeknownst to Petunia, that was her first mistake.

Once eleven hit the clock, Petunia quietly stepped into the hallway, making her way to her parents door to peak inside. And as always, the two were fast asleep in their bed — leading Petunia to know she could leave.

The girl, again, locked her bedroom door once she was inside and clenched her teeth as she slid open her window, feeling the cold November air hit her skin.

Not wanting to make the same mistake as the previous night, she had opted to grab a soft cardigan to keep her warm.

And she climbed out.

       However, when Petunia stepped onto the frozen grass and began her journey to her friends, she was stopped.

     Vernon Dursley, leaning against his house, was smoking a cigarette and staring at the sky. It was so quiet that night, that he had heard the thud come from Petunia's house — and since she had no fence in her backyard, Vernon was able to see her clearly.

"Do you smoke?" He asked loud enough for only her to hear. And Petunia cursed to herself as she faced him.

"No," She lied, though he could tell easily.

"What are you doing up this late," He questioned her again. Petunia hid the scowl on her face as she tried to muster a smile, "Just going for a walk."

At her words, Vernon let a laugh escape his lips, leading for some smoke to come out in the process. "Do you typically leave through your window?"

Petunia, years ago, would have kept her positive demeanor easily. However, that Petunia would've never snuck out either, and this interrogation would've never happened.

      But, this Petunia did sneak out and was caught. This Petunia barely even had ounce of patience left — Which is why she decided to huff in response.

      "Do you always ask so many questions?" She shot back, noticing a smirk growing on his face. "We met once, stop acting like you have the right to know what i'm doing on my free time."

        Vernon Dursley never let the smirk leave his face as he pushed himself off his house. And it continued to stay there as he stepped towards Petunia, watching her face grow confused.

Petunia was confused.

       And she was slightly intimidated to see the large boy walk over to her. But trying to stand her ground, she stayed there — glaring at him.

      Though, as he reached her and gripped her arm tightly, Petunia almost puked from anxiety.

      "I would be nicer, Petunia." He smiled down at her, speaking her name venomously, "Your dear mother wouldn't want you to make enemies with the new neighbors," His voice grew quieter, and she frowned in response.

     "Don't act like you know her," She responded hastily, trying to rip her arm away, "Because you don't."

"Do you know what I know, Petunia?" He almost laughed, squeezing her arm tighter, "I know that you have a sister. A sister that they prefer over you. Why? I don't know," He began, "But everything they said about her made her sound great, almost magical. And you," He continued, "You are just the disappointment, aren't you?"

"Shut up."

"Escaping the house at night to do what? Probably coming home high or drunk every night, aren't you?" He continued to mock, and Petunia grew angrier, "Do they know? Do they know that—"

"Shut up!"

      "Make me," He threatened back and Petunia did — or at least tried to. Taking her free hand, she went to slap the boy across the face. Though, he had stopped her, and opted to have his own hand smack her cheek — making it go instantly red.

    Petunia's eyes widened at the action, and she automatically went to reach for her now warm cheek. However, it was the hand that was occupied by his own, and when she reached up, her sleeve fell down, revealing a large, healed gash in her arm.

      Vernon's gaze never left that mark and Petunia twisted her grip out of his, feeling more than uncomfortable by his look.

    She knew what he thought it was — and although he wasn't right — Petunia had no other explanation for the mark.

    Because how could she say normally, without looking crazy, that this gash on her arm was caused by an accidental spell by her sister.

P.EVANS + J.POTTER