3.5

P.EVANS + J.POTTER

<3.5>
educated

It went silent after Peter's words.

THE THREE WERE STILL roaming in the woods, getting deeper into an area that seemed somewhat familiar to Petunia — and as she started to get flashes of her prior vision, the girl started to take charge, maneuvering her way past James as she took the lead.

Neither boy questioned it either. They instead chose to follow her, seeing as she was already heading to the preplanned location.

The Whomping Willow.

     As the three were no longer talking, scared to harden the tension that was already created, it was easy to hear the outside noises, indicating that their chosen area was getting closer.

     The sounds of bugs, animals, and other life in the woods began to get quieter, as they tended to steer away from this quarter of the woods. They too could hear the screams and howls that took part in this region of the woods once a month. And as they feared the danger that came from it, they made their homes far enough away from the swaying tree — where the sounds were just mere echoes.

petunia continued her walk.

     The already indented footprints were a telling sign that she was, in fact, in the right area. Though, she couldn't use it as her only map, as the steps were beginning to fade away over time.

she also used her memories,

non-purposefully.

    Because as the blonde let her eyes roam enough, a piercing burn would engrave her head, causing her to not only wince at the familiarity, but also see a flash of her previous vision — comparing the two locations indefinitely.

they were the same.

      Her steps grew faster as she walked. Her confidence was growing, her headaches were getting harsher. Petunia was focusing on her vision rather than her sight, leading for two sets of hands to harshly grab her arms, pulling her back into their chest.

her breath hitched at the contact.

     And as her eyes flashed up, seeing why they abruptly stopped her from continuing, Petunia finally heard the rickety wood smacking against other objects, violently swinging in each direction, stopping anything from getting near it.

she then glanced to james.

     Unlike Peter, who had already dropped her arm. James had kept a firm grip on her bicep, his other hand cascading down her arm and into her already open hand.

they tangled their fingers together.

    And as he shared the current look she was giving him, he gave her a small, nervous smile — nodding to the ground below them as he lowly whispered, "Can't take you anywhere without almost getting hurt."

She awkwardly smiled at that.

it was true.

        Though, almost like she didn't want to confirm his words to be true, she weakly slapped him in the chest, ignoring his fake groan as she looked to Peter next.

he wasn't there.

Her brows furrowed.

     And as she turned her head in each direction, looking for the boy that was slightly shorter than she was, a panic started to arise — not seeing any indication of him.

She took a step back.

correction:

She almost took a step back.

     Because as her foot lifted from its original position, barely inching its way back, Petunia screeched as the loud sound of a panicked squeak sounded below her — causing the girl to shift in surprise as she looked down, again, seeing the familiar sight of a rat.

"Fuck sake, Pete!"

The words left her mouth before she expected.

     And Petunia slapped a hand over her still moving lips, muffling the rest of her sentence as it was still flowing out. She even cringed at her own words, really hoping that the rat was actually Peter.

she still never technically saw him transform.

      And if it was, indeed, just a rat — Petunia just loudly outburst at it, calling it Peter.

she glanced at james.

"That's Peter... right?"

He let out a breathy laugh.

     "In this state, he is better known as wormtail," he answered honestly, his eyes roaming to the small creature as it made it's way through the limbs of the tree, "Almost killed him before we could even get inside."

she shot him a look.

Petunia pretended to not hear his sentence.

      "I'm assuming he wasn't the one who came up with the name," She responded shortly, "I don't think I'd know one person who would want 'worm' in their name."

He rolled his eyes at that.

      "Both Sirius and him came up with the names," He said matter-of-factly, "We all had roles—" He stopped momentarily, seeing as the tree stopped its movements.

petunia followed his steps.

      "Sirius and I would find the passageways... for the map," he shortly added in, "Remus would figure out the supposed passwords, Peter thought of the map's names... key phrases.. nicknames, and in the end, Remus charmed the map into a whole." James shortly explained, his words being muffled as he went around the tree's limbs.

"Remus charmed it all by himself?"

She could barely see his nod.

      "We were actually going to ask Lily for help," He spoke through his nod, "But as she was more of a.... rule follower, we decides against it," He looked back at Petunia, offering a helping hand as he reached the small hole of the tree, "Remus ended up finishing it after a week."

she connected their hands.

"And you made it for pranks?"

That time, he shook his head.

      "That's what Remus thinks.. since it's what we told him." He answered quickly, "But — our little secret," he leaned forward, leading Petunia to follow suit, "The map was for him... and his problem."

i don't have time to proofread this so lemme know if i said something dumb or misspelled hahahaha
P.EVANS + J.POTTER