11.5

P.EVANS + J.POTTER

i'm running on 3 hours of sleep and chick fil a

<11.5>
christmas faded into a new day

THE DAY FOLLOWING CHRISTMAS started much sooner than Petunia had hoped. Because as she decided to sleep in that day, having stayed up late the day prior, the girl was unexpectedly woken by two joyous squeals.

Marlene, along with Dorcas, were wide awake, smiles plastering their faces as they saw the pained look of Petunia. And instead of getting off of her, like she'd hoped, the two brought the blonde in for a hug — their voices muffling "merry late christmas" into each of her shoulders.

Petunia didn't hug back, nor did she try. Both of her arms were pinned to the bed by each of her friends bodies. And as she looked to James and Sirius, giving them a helpless look as they stood in the doorway — both shrugged in response, Sirius leaning back on the frame in amusement.

"They grow up so quick, don't they?" James fake wiped a tear, before scoffing as two pairs of middle fingers were sent his direction. "Who taught you that?"

"I surely didn't," Sirius spoke as it was obvious, pointing at them, "They tucked their bloody thumbs in — who does that?"

James didn't answer, but rather held up his own middle finger — pointing his thumb out in unison.

"Had to be Pete," James concurred, feeling awkward as he tried tucking his thumb in, "He would so some weird shit like that."

"Gasp."

The two turned.

And as Pete stood behind them, making himself comfortable as he invited himself into the Potter home — James furrowed his brows, "Did you just say gasp."

"I have asthma."

"What?"

"Leave him alone," Petunia's voice barely muffled, still being stuck in the girls' embrace, "He has... asthma."

it went quiet.

And at her words, Marlene sat up, rolling her eyes at the deep sigh Petunia took immediately after. She looked to Peter. "Do you really have asthma?"

"No."

"gasp."

***

       Remus Lupin stood by his front door, keeping a firm grip on the doorknob as he looked to his father — who had a tired smile on his face.

      "I promise i'll be fine," Lyall assured, seeing the unsure look on his sons face. But even with his assurance, Remus didn't look convinced.

      "You shouldn't be alone," He spoke inaudibly, "Especially during the holidays, with everything that's happened," Remus continued, slightly louder than before. "I see my friends all the time—"

      "—And you will again. Today," Lyall cut him off, placing a firm grip onto Remus' shoulder before pulling him towards him — right into a tight hug. "Don't worry about me."

       Remus went quiet as he hugged Lyall back. His head was tucked into his shoulder, his arms were loosely around his waist. He really needed that hug. Lyall needed it too.

it was quiet for a long moment.

     "I'm sorry," Remus whispered to his dad, his arms tightening at each word spoken. "Thank you for... everything."

remus spoke words of affirmation.

       Something that he had started to do more recently. After the loss of his mum,  Remus no longer wanted to take advantage of the time he had, along with the people he was with. He realized how little of time there really could be. And he needed to cherish these moments more. He needed to cherish the people around him. Take nothing for granted.

      "Your friends are waiting," Lyall smiled into his words, his arms loosening around Remus. "And we all know that they will be a disaster without you."

Remus hid a smile.

      "James and Sirius have probably already broken a law," He lightly laughed, trying to hide the fact that he wasn't actually joking.

Lyall's smile widened.

       "You know what," He shrugged, "As long as they don't get caught."

Remus furrowed a brow.

"Speaking from experience?"

Lyall stuttered.

       "I don't think Hope would appreciate me telling you those... stories," He awkwardly laughed out, only to see his son's accusing gaze. "And she wouldn't appreciate that look either."

"Was she also apart of these.. rule breakings?"

Lyall no longer made eye contact.

       "I think you ask too many questions," He spoke shortly, his tone slightly teasing. And Remus grinned as he was slowly shoved back towards the direction of the door. "Questions I won't be answering, by the way."

      "Fine. Fine." Remus held his hands up in surrender, finally turning the doorknob to open it. "I'll go... I'm leaving," He pushed out a laugh as another small shove came from his dad. "Anything you want me to tell the others?"

       "The usual," Lyall called out to his retreating son, "I hope they had a Merry Christmas," He smiled, "And Happy New Years!"

___
my long car trip literally just ended so when i get to my hotel.. i'll be editing this
P.EVANS + J.POTTER