2.5

P.EVANS + J.POTTER

<2.5>
a small confrontation

    THREE GIGGLING GIRLS AND A scowling Petunia Evans sat in the living room, waiting for the Evans parents to pass out all of the gifts.

     To no surprise, Petunia received a single envelope from her family. And for the rest, the three girls were handed five gifts each.

     Since the duo of witches arrived, the blonde kept her eyes towards the flooring, ignoring everything that the three were saying. Their happiness was nauseating to her.

   Marlene was the loudest of the three, continuously cracking jokes and laughing at them right after — and even then, Petunia couldn't help but hold back her own smile at some of the jokes.

    Though, since her eyes were focused elsewhere, the youngest Evans never realized that the three girls were also giving hateful glares to her.

With what they've heard from Lily — Petunia was not a good person, especially towards witches—
    —And as the two girls never actually spoke to her, only keeping their eyes on Petunia — they never knew the true story between the set of twins.

Isabel and Thomas, the parents, were more than excited to meet more witches. And they really liked Dorcas, out of the two, since she immediately pulled them into warm hugs when she introduced herself.

     Petunia even noticed a subtle nod Dorcas gave her when entering the house.

     On the other hand, Marlene was the wild one, who didn't mind showing her emotions or feelings. So, when that witch had entered the home, and noticed Petunia for the first time — her eyes simply rolled. And, as she pulled Lily into her arms, Petunia watched as she whispered something into her ear — keeping her focus purely on Petunia. And then Lily laughed.

As of now, the group of girls were spaced from the youngest, opening their gifts in excitement as Petunia awkwardly held the piece of paper in her hand. Although it wasn't much, the small girl still mumbled a thank you to her parents as she nodded towards the simple gift.

It was a single piece of paper with the words, "no homework pass" written in sloppy handwriting.

Petunia never received homework in the first place.

Dorcas was the first to squeal in excitement, leading the twins to look in her direction. With a sweet smile adorned on her face, she profusely thanked the girls parents as she held up a beautifully charmed bracelet, which held an engraved D on the side of it.

Marlene soon joined her friend in aw as she stared back down at her own personalized one — her thumb tracing over the cursive M that was decorated on it.

Lily, though rather quiet, was still showing great amounts of happiness as her gifts scattered over her lap. She had received a few books, some she'd been asking for-for ages, and then a dark wool blended hat — which was placed on her head from Dorcas, who was now wearing the bracelet.

A fit of giggles then erupted from the girls again, and Petunia no longer felt like staying in that room — especially since she was the only one who didn't have someone to talk too.

Though, as she stood from her spot on the flooring, the loudest laugh of the three girls became quiet — and Petunia felt a pair of eyes on her.

And as she tried to ignore the eyes, leading herself to turn away from the group, the voice finally spoke.

She was surprised to hear Marlene.

"Well," Her voice boomed, "What did you get?" She questioned the girl, her accent being the most prominent it's been all night.

Petunia took a step away, then two and three, but as her mind told her that was rude — she turned towards the girl, placing the best smile she could on her face.

"I've gotten a pass."

"A pass?"

She nodded in response, and held up the crinkled piece of paper in her hand. Again, she was surprised to see Marlene stand from her seat, and confidently make her way towards the girl.

Holding her hand out, Petunia furrowed her brows but nonetheless placed it in her palm, watching as the girl's smile, which was once very big, slowly faded.

"A no homework pass?" She almost laughed out, thinking it was a joke, "Would your teachers at school really accept this,"

"I'm homeschooled, so," Petunia spoke back quietly, trying to take the pass back before Marlene closed it in her fist.

The blonde witch turned to her parents.

"What else did you get her?" She asked abruptly, and Petunia quickly shook her head, trying to turn Marlene back towards her.

"It's okay," She tried to whisper to her, "I'm fine, this always happ—"

"This always happens?" Marlene whispered back, her frown only furthering, "Lily never mentioned that."

"Yeah, well," Petunia let out a breath, "We don't talk much."

"Okay then," She responded shortly, shooting a glare towards the parents once they looked away, and headed straight for her own gifts — two were still wrapped. "Your choice, which one do you want," She spoke loudly, now holding the gifts towards Petunia.

Petunia was confused.

"That isn't necessary," Isabel Evans finally spoke, standing from her seat. "Petunia is perfectly happy with her gift, aren't you?"

"Yes, of course."

"See! No need.." She tried, before Marlene marched her way to Petunia, shoving both gifts in her palm. Petunia almost dropped them.

"No worries," Marlene smiled back at them, "I have no problem sharing."

Isabel grew quiet.

Marlene turned towards Petunia.

and she whispered.

"I don't know what happened between you and Lily — and it isn't my business to know," she paused, "And I know you hate our kind," she added briefly, "But, for the holidays, you wanna have a truce — so we can all enjoy it?"

Petunia almost smiled.

"truce... for the holidays."

P.EVANS + J.POTTER