Dead In The Water

I walked back to our table, seeing only Dean sitting there and a waitress going over to him. "Can I get you anything else?" She asked, Dean looks up and grins around the pen he's chewing on. "Just the check, please." I said to her as I sat down at the table. "Okay." The woman said, walking away.

Dean drops his head, then looks at me. "You know, (Name), we are allowed to have fun once in a while." He said, then points to the waitress walking away, wearing short shorts. "That's fun."

I look at the waitress then look back at Dean. "I think you and I have different ideas of what fun is." I said. "That's putting it mildly." Dean muttered, looking back down at the newspaper he has.

Sam then comes back over and as he sits down, Dean tosses the newspaper at us, for us to read. "Here, take a look at this, I think I got one. Lake Manitoc, Wisconsin. Last week Sophie Carlton, eighteen, walks into the lake, doesn't walk out. Authorities dragged the water; nothing. Sophie Carlton is the third Lake Manitoc drowning this year. None of the other bodies were found either. They had a funeral two days ago."

"A funeral?" I asked, confused. "Yeah, it's weird, they buried an empty coffin. For, uh, closure or whatever." Dean said. "Closure? What closure? People don't just disappear, Dean. Other people just stop looking for them." Sam said, Dean stares back at him. "Something you want to say to me?" He asked.

"The trail for Dad. It's getting colder every day." Sam said. "Exactly. So, what are we supposed to do?" Dean asked. "I don't know. Something. Anything." Sam said, frustrated. "What? You want to drive to places at random and hope we stumble across him?" I asked Sam.

"It's better than working a case. We won't find him this way." Sam said, very clearly annoyed by all this. "You know what? I'm sick of this attitude. You don't think I wanna find Dad as much as you do?" Dean asked him.

"Yeah, I know you do, it's just..." Sam started to say, but Dean interrupted him. "I'm the one that's been with him every single day for the past two years, while you've been off to college going to pep rallies. We will find Dad, but until then, we're gonna kill everything bad between here and there. Okay?" He said, Sam rolls his eyes.

The waitress walks by, distracting Dean. "All right, Lake Manitoc." Sam said, then he notices Dean isn't paying attention. "Hey!" Dean returns his attention to us. "Huh?" He asked. "How far?" Sam asked him.

We got in the Impala and drove to Lake Manitoc, first stop being the victim's house. Dean knocks on the door and not long after it's open by an young man. "Will Carlton?" Dean asked him. "Yeah, that's right." Will replied, looking confused. "I'm Agent Ford. This is Agent Hamill and Agent Baker. We're with the US Wildlife Service." Dean said, holding up an fake ID.

We follow Will around the house where we could see his father sitting on a bench on the dock. "She was about a hundred yards out. That's where she got dragged down." Will explained, looking towards the lake. "And you're sure she didn't just drown?" Dean asked him. "Yeah. She was a varsity swimmer. She practically grew up in that lake. She was as safe out there as in her own bathtub." Will explained.

"So no splashing? No signs of distress?" Sam asked. "No, that's what I'm telling you." Will replied. "Did you see any shadows in the water? Maybe some dark shape breach the surface?" I asked. "No. Again, she was really far out there." He said.

"You ever see any strange tracks by the shoreline?" Dean then asked. "No, never. Why? Why, what do you think's out there?" Will asked back. "We'll let you know as soon as we do." Dean said, he then turns and starts walking back to the car.

I look over at the man on the docks behind Will. "What about your father? Can we talk to him?" I asked. Will turns to look at his father, then turns back. "Look, if you don't mind, I mean... he didn't see anything and he's kind of been through a lot." He told me. "We understand." Sam said and we went back to the car.