Phantom Traveler

I was in my motel room, flipping through the channels when there was a knock at my door. I turn off the tv and grabbed my knife, sneaking to the window. Peeking out of the blinds, I saw Sam standing in front of the door, holding coffee and pastries.

I toss my knife onto the bed and went to door, unlocking it. "Morning, sunshine." Sam said to me when I open the door. "Morning. You do know it's like 5:45 right?" I asked, letting him into my room. "Yep." He replied, I shut the door and walk back over to the bed. "Did you get any sleep last night?" I asked, taking a seat on the edge.

"Yeah, I grabbed a couple hours." Sam said, lying through his teeth. Those bags under his eyes tell another story. "Liar. I've had insomniac longer than you, Sam. I can tell you haven't slept just by looking at you." I said, Sam doesn't say anything.

"When was the last time you got a good night's sleep?" I asked. "I don't know, a little while, I guess. It's not a big deal." He replied. "It kind of is, Sam." I said. "Look, I appreciate your concern..." Sam stared to say, but I interrupted him. "Don't say you're fine. You're not. It's my job to be concerned about you. That's what you signed up for when you became my friend." I told him, Sam smiles at me a little.

"Still having nightmares about Jess?" I asked, causing Sam to drop his smile. He walks over, handing me a coffee as he takes a seat next to me on the bed. "Yeah. But it's not just her. It's everything. I just forgot, you know? This job. Man, it gets to you." He said.

"Yeah well... you can't let it. It's the only way you can survive a job like this." I said, taking a sip of my coffee. "So, what? All this it... never keeps you up at night?" Sam asked, and I lower my gaze, my mind immediately going back to the time I spent hunting alone.

I shake my head, trying to not think about that anymore. "Nope. No, just those damn hellhounds." I lied, fidgeting with my coffee. "Everything else can go to hell." I said. "Never? You're never afraid?" Sam asked.

"No, not really." I replied, taking a sip of my coffee. Sam takes my knife that laid on the bed behind me and holds it up as evidence. "That's not fear." I said, taking the knife back. "That is precaution." I said. "All right, whatever. I'm too tired to argue." Sam said.

"You want some melatonin?" I asked him, Sam thinks for a moment and nods. I stood up, walking over to my bag. Setting my coffee down I dig through it until I found the pill bottle. I took it out and toss it to Sam, who catches it with one hand. "Thanks (Name)." He said, with a little smile. "Hey... what are friends for?" I asked, picking up my coffee to take another sip.

Later in the day, Dean told us about a phone call he got from this Jerry guy, that his father help. So we got in the Impala and drove down to see what new problem Jerry has now. "Thanks for making the trip so quick. I ought to be doing you guys a favor, not the other way around. Dean and your dad really helped me out." Jerry said, as we walk through a hanger.

"Yeah, he told us. It was a poltergeist?" Sam asked. "Poltergeist? Man, I loved that movie." A man said, as he walks by us. "Hey, nobody's talking to you. Keep walking." Jerry told the man.

"Damn right it was a poltergeist, practically tore our house apart. Tell you something, if it wasn't for you and your dad, I probably wouldn't be alive. Your dad said you were off at college. Is that right?" Jerry asked Sam. "Yeah, I was. I'm... taking some time off." He replied.

"Well, he was real proud of you. I could tell. He talked about you all the time." Jerry told him. "He did?" Sam asked, surprised. "Yeah, you bet he did. Oh, hey, you know I tried to get a hold of him, but I couldn't. How's he doing, anyway?" Jerry asked, the boys glance to each other.

"He's, um, wrapped up in a job right now." Dean said. "Well, we're missing the old man, but we get Sam and a friend. Even trade, huh?" Jerry asked, making Dean laugh. "No, not by a long shot." Sam said. "I got something I want you guys to hear." Jerry said.