Route 666

Sam and I were looking at a map laid out on top of the car, while Dean has his phone to his ear. "Okay. I think I found a way we can bypass that construction just east of here. We might even make Pennsylvania faster than we thought." Sam said.

Dean lower his phone, looking thoughtful. "Yeah. Problem is, we're not going to Pennsylvania." He said. "We're what?" I asked, confused. "I just got a call from an, uh, old friend. Her father was killed last night, think it might be our kind of thing." Dean replied, walking around the Impala to the driver's side. "What?" Sam asked, confused.

"Yeah. Believe me, she never woulda called, never, if she didn't need us." Dean said, before getting into the car. Sam and I glance at each other, confused. "Come on, are you guys coming or not?" Dean asked us. I shrugged and got in the car, along with Sam.

The Impala cruised down the road, fields on one side, a lake on the other. "By old friend you mean...?" Sam started to say. "A friend that's not new." Dean said, interrupting him. "Oh yeah, thanks." Sam replied, sarcastically.

"So her name's Cassie huh? You never mentioned her." I said, Dean glance up at the review mirror to look at me. "Didn't I?" He asked. Sam and I looked at him, expectantly. "Yeah, we went out." Dean said, plainly.

"You mean you dated somebody? For more than one night." Sam said, in disbelief. "Am I speaking a language you're not getting here? Dad and I were working a job in Ohio, she was finishing up college. We went out for a coupla weeks." Dean explained.

"And...?" Sam asked, Dean shrugs slightly not answering. "Look, it's terrible about her dad, but it kinda sounds like a standard car accident. I'm not seeing how it fits with what we do." Sam said. "Which by the way, how does she know what we do?" I asked, Dean looks at the rearview mirror again, his looks shifts.

"You told her." I said, in shocked. Sam looks at Dean just as shock but also angry. "You told her, the secret! Our big family rule number one. We do what we do and we shut up about it. For a year and a half I do nothing but lie to Jessica, and you go out with this chick in Ohio a coupla times and you tell her everything?" He asked, angrily.

Dean stays silent, staring straight ahead. "Dean!" Sam shouted. "Yeah. Looks like." Dean replied, continuing to stare ahead. Sam makes a irritated look, shaking his head.

We arrived at Cape Girardeau, Missouri and enter a newspaper office. "Jimmy, you're too close to this. Those guys were friends of yours. Again, Cassie, I'm very sorry for your loss." A Caucasian man said to two African Americans, a man and a woman. The man walk away and the woman sighs, turning around, her eyes immediately locking on to Dean.

Looking slightly apprehensive, Dean nods at her and grins. "Dean." She said, softly. "Hey Cassie." Dean replied as she walks over to us, not taking her eyes off him. They stare at each other for a long moment, not speaking.

Sam and I watch, smiling to ourselves. Dean clears his throat and gestures to us. "This my brother Sam." He said, introducing Sam first. Cassie smiles at Sam, who returns one of his own.

"And our friend (Name)." Dean said, introducing me next. Cassie's smile seem weaken a bit when she looked at me, or maybe it was just my imagination. I smiled back and slightly waved at her. Cassie gaze returns to Dean. "Sorry bout your dad." Dean said, apologetically. "Yeah. Me too." She said and they continue staring at each other, like Sam and I weren't even here.

Cassie took us back to her place, where she explained what happen to her father. Cassie enters the living room carrying a tray of tea and cups. "My mothers in pretty bad shape. I've been staying with her. I wish she wouldn't go off by herself. She's been so nervous and frightened. She was worried about dad." She explained.