Yellow Fever

The boys and I stood in the morgue as the coroner opens a body bag. "Agent Tyler, Agent Perry, Agent Dawson, meet Frank O'Brien." He said. "He died of a heart attack, right?" I asked. "Three days ago." The coroner replied.

"But O'Brien was 44 years old and, according to this ­a marathon runner." Sam said, looking at a file. "Everybody drops dead sooner or later. It's why I got job security." The coroner said.

"Yeah, but Frank kicked it here. Now, just yesterday, two perfectly healthy men bit it in Maumee. All heart attacks, you don't think that's strange?" Dean asked him. "Sounds like Maumee's problem to me. Why's the FBI give a damn, anyway?" The coroner asked.

"We just want to see the results of Frank's autopsy." I asked. "What autopsy?" He asked. "The one you're gonna do." I replied.

The coroner set Franks's body on an operated table and cuts open his chest. "First dead body?" He asked us. "Far from it." Dean replied. "Oh, good. Because these suckers can get pretty ripe. Hey, hand me those rib cutters, would you?" He said.

Sam and I took a fortifying breaths as Dean picks up the cutters and hands it to the Coroner. The coroner cuts the ribs open while Sam keeps himself from squirming. I titled my head when I notice something, and place on hand on Frank's seeing an outline of a ring on his skin. "Is that from a wedding ring? I didn't think Frank was married." I said.

"Ain't my department." The coroner said. "Any idea how he got these?" Sam asked, picking up Frank's arm which is full of scratches. "You know what? When you drop dead, you actually tend to drop." The coroner said, sounding annoyed by the question. "Body probably got scraped up when it hit the ground. Huh!" He then said.

"What?" Sam asked. "I-I can't find any blockages in any of the major arteries." The coroner replied. He then breaks off the heart while Dean tries not to vomit. "Heart looks pretty damn healthy." The coroner said, then hands heart to Dean. "Hold that a second, would you?"

Sam and I were smirking on the side. But then coroner cuts something else in the body and blood splattered us in the face. "Oh, sorry. Spleen juice." He said apologetically as Dean smirks.

After that, we headed over to the sheriff's station. We were sitting down in front of Deputy's desk, waiting. The Deputy smiles at us, then the Sheriff opens his office door. "Hell's bells, Linus, have you seen my...." He said, stopping when he notice us. "Who are they?" He asked, and we stood up.

"Federal agents. I, uh...." Linus started to say. "And you kept them waiting?" The sheriff asked him. "You, you said not to disturb." Linus replied. "Come on back, fellas." The sheriff said to us, and we walk over to his office, but then the Sheriff stops us. "Shoes off." He said, and we took off our shoes before walking into the office.

"Al Britton. Good to meet you." The sheriff said, shaking our hands. "You too." Sam said, Britton then gestures for us to sit down. "Thank you." Sam said, and we took a seat in front of his desk.

Britton took out alcohol gel and start slathering his hands. Dean looks at Sam and I with a weird expression on his face. "Okay. So, what can I do for uncle Sam?" Britton asked, taking a seat at his desk.

"Well, we're looking into the death of Frank O'Brien. We understand some of your men found his body." Sam said. "They did. Me and Frank, we were friends. Hell, we were gamecocks." Britton said, causing Dean to snicker and Britton gives him a stern look making Dean look abashed.

"That's our softball team's name."'Britton said, and Dean nods. "They're majestic animals. I knew Frank since high school. To be honest, I just this morning got up the strength to go see him. Frank was... He was a good man." He said.