Crossroad Blues

The boys and I were sitting at a table in a diner, Sam was using his laptop, I sat beside him and saw he was looking at mugshot of me from the St. Louis Police Department. "So much for our low profile. You've got a warrant in St. Louis, and now you're officially in the Fed's database." Sam said to me.

"Great." I grumbled, lying my arms on the table and dropping my head into them. "You're like Dillinger or something." Dean said, I lifted my head to frown at him. "Dean, it's not funny. Makes the job harder, we've gotta be more careful now." I said.

"Well, what do they got on us?" Dean asked Sam. "I'm sure they just haven't posted it yet." Sam muttered. "No accessory? Nothing?" Dean asked, seeming disappointed. Sam shook his head and I look between them, curious. "Nothing at all?" I asked.

"Shut up." They said, making me laugh. "You boys are jealous." I said. "No." Dean said, sharply. "No, I'm not!" Sam exclaimed, making me laugh again and Dean rolled his eyes.

"All right. What do you got on the case there, you innocent, harmless young man, you?" Dean asked Sam, who shuts his computer, annoyed, and pulls out several pages of research. "Architect Sean Boyden plummeted to his death from the roof of his home, a condominium he designed." He explained, looking at the papers.

"Hmm. Build a high-rise and jump off the top of it. That's classy. When did he call animal control?" Dean asked. "Two days earlier." Sam replied. "Did he actually say Black Dog?" I asked.

"Yeah. A vicious, wild, black dog. The authorities couldn't find it, no one else saw it; in fact, the authorities are a little confused as to how a wild dog could get past the doorman, take the elevator up and start roaming the halls of the cushiest joint in town. After that, no more calls, he doesn't show up for work, two days later he takes a swan dive." Sam explained.

"Do you think we're dealing with an actual Black Dog?" I asked. "Well, maybe." Sam muttered. "What's the lore on it?" Dean asked, and Sam passes him the pages. "It's all pretty vague. I mean, there are spectral black dogs all over the world, but... some say they're animal spirits, others say death omens. But anyways, whatever they are, they're big, nasty." He explained.

"Yeah, I bet they could hump the crap outta your leg, look at that one, huh?" Dean said, holding up a picture and smirks. Sam and I glare back and Dean's smirk slips. "What? They could." He said.

In a posh, well-lit room, the boys and I were wearing our suits and interviewing a man. "So, you and Sean Boyden were business partners for almost ten years, right?" Sam asked him. "That's right. Now one more time, this is for...?" The man replied. "A tribute to Mr. Boyden. Architectural Digest." Dean said and the man laughs. "This funny to you?" Dean asked him.

"No, it... it's just, a tribute. Yeah. See, Sean always got the tributes. He kills himself, leaves me and his family behind... well, he gets another tribute." The man explained. "Right. Any idea why he'd do such a thing?" I asked. "I, I have no clue, I mean he lived a charmed life." He replied. "How so?" Sam asked.

"He was a flat-out genius. I mean, I'm capable, but next to him, I... and it wasn't always that way, either." The man said. "No?" Dean said, questionably "You wanna know the truth? There was a time where he couldn't even design a pup tent. Hell, ten years ago he's working as a bartender at this place called Lloyds. A complete dive." The man explained.

"Right. So what changed?" Sam asked. "You got me. But overnight, he gets this huge commission, and he starts designing... he starts designing the most ingenious buildings anyone has ever seen. It was like, the level of Van Gogh, and Mozart..." The man said, stopping himself abruptly.

"What?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. "It's funny. True geniuses, they seem to die young, don't they? To have that kind of talent? Why... why just throw it away?" He asked, the boys and I exchanged a look.