Hook Man

Dean and I sat at a table of an outdoor café, where he was working on the laptop, while I was sipping my coffee and nervously looking around, in case anyone were to recognize me from the news after the whole shapeshifter business. Sam meanwhile was using a payphone nearby.

A couple minutes later he hanged up the phone and walk back over to our table. "Your, uh, half-caf, double vanilla latte is gettin' cold over here, Francis." Dean said to him, not looking up from the laptop. "Bite me." Sam replied, sitting down.

"So, anything?" I asked, Sam shakes his head. "I had 'em check the FBI's Missing Persons Data Bank. No John Doe's fitting Dad's description. I even ran his plates for traffic violations." He said.

"Sam, I'm telling ya, I don't think Dad wants to be found." Dean said, Sam looks disappointed. "Check this out." Dean shows us an article on the computer about some poor college kid's death. "It's a news item out of Planes Courier. Ankeny, Iowa. It's only about a hundred miles from here." He said.

"The mutilated body was found near the victim's car, parked on 9 Mile Road." Sam read aloud. "Keep reading." Dean told him "Authorities are unable to provide a realistic description of the killer. The sole eyewitness, whose name has been withheld, is quoted as saying the attacker was invisible." Sam continue reading.

"Could be something interesting." I remarked. "Or it could be nothing at all. One freaked out witness who didn't see anything? Doesn't mean it's the Invisible Man." Sam said. "But what if it is? Dad would check it out." Dean told him.

We drove to Ankeny, Iowa, our first stop being the frat house where this Rich kid was staying during his semester. The other frat brothers look over at us confused, as we got out of the car. "One more time, why are we here?" Sam whispered to Dean. "Victim lived here." Dean whispered back.

We walk up to some guys fixing a car. "Nice wheels." Dean complimented them, the frat boys look at him strangely. "We're your fraternity brothers. From Ohio. We're new in town. Transfers. Looking for a place to stay." Dean explained gesturing to himself and Sam, grinning.

We enter a dorm room where a shirtless frat boy in yellow shorts is painting his face and body purple. Dean knock on his door, getting his attention. "Who are you?" The frat boy asked us. "We're your new roommates." Dean replied, grinning.

"What about you, sweetheart?" The frat boy asked me, smirking. I shifted, uncomfortable. God, I never know what to do in situations like these! "Oh uh... I'm uh staying somewhere else. Just want to make sure my friends are settled in alright." I said. "Well, there's always room for you here, cutie." The frat boy said, winking at me. I nodded and look away, awkwardly.

Dean walks over to the frat boy, who holds the brush and paint can out to him. "Do me a favor? Get my back. Big game today." He said, Dean points to Sam. "He's the artist. Things he can do with a brush." He said. Sam, mortified, takes the brush and can. Dean sits on a chair and picks up a magazine. "So..." He looks at the name on the magazine "Murph. Is it true?" He asked.

"What?" Murph asked. "We heard one of the guys around here got killed last week." Dean replied. "Yeah." Murph said, sadly. "What happened?" Sam asked. "They're saying some psycho with a knife. Maybe a drifter passing through. Rich was a good guy." Murph said.

"Rich he was with somebody?" I asked. "Not just somebody. Lori Sorensen." Murph replied. "Who's Lori Sorensen?" Dean asked. "You missed a spot. Just down there on the back." He then said to Sam, who look at him, annoyed. Dean grins back. "Lori's a freshman. She's a local. Super hot. And get this... she's a reverend's daughter." Murph explained. "You wouldn't happen to know which church, would ya?" Dean asked him.

We headed straight to the church, to speak with this Lori Sorensen. We enter the building, with the door slamming behind us. The congregation goes silent and turns to look at us before continuing. "...as a community, and as a family. The loss of a young person is particularly tragic. A life unlived is the saddest of passings."