Bugs

Sam was reading the newspaper I gave him, which was about some poor construction guy that died in a hole. A minute later, Dean comes outside, laughing and waving a wad of cash in the air. "You know, we could get day jobs once in a while." Sam said to him. "Hunting's our day job. And the pay is crap." Dean replied. "Wait... we're supposed to be getting paid for this?" I asked, jokingly.

"Yeah, but hustling pool? Credit card scams? It's not the most honest thing in the world, guys." Sam said. "Well, let's see honest." Dean said, holding out one hand. "Fun and easy." He said, then holds out the other, and gestures that 'fun and easy' outweighs 'honest'. "It's no contest. Besides, we're good at it. It's what we were raised to do." He said.

"Yeah, well, how we were raised was jacked." Sam remarked. "Yeah, says you. We got a new gig or what?" Dean asked. "Maybe. Oasis Plains, Oklahoma... not far from here. A gas company employee, Dustin Burwash, supposedly died from Creutzfeldt-Jakob." I replied.

"Huh?" Dean asked, confused. "Human mad cow disease." Sam clarified for him. "Mad cow. Wasn't that on Oprah?" Dean asked, Sam and I looked at him surprised. "You watch Oprah?" Sam asked, Dean looks embarrassed.

"So this guy eats a bad burger. Why is it our kind of thing?" He asked, changing the topic. "Mad cow disease causes massive brain degeneration. It takes months, even years, for the damage to appear. But this guy, Dustin? Sounds like his brain disintegrated in about an hour. Maybe less." Sam explained looking at the newspaper.

"Okay, that's weird." Dean said. "Yeah. Now, it could be a disease. Or it could be something much nastier." I said. "All right. Oklahoma." Dean said as we got in the car. "Man. Work, work, work. No time to spend my money."

We drove to Oklahoma, pulling up to the the Gas and Power Company building. We got out of the car and approach a man standing outside. "Travis Weaver?" Sam called out to him. "Yeah, that's right." He said, turning to us.

"Are you the Travis who worked with Uncle Dusty?" Dean asked. "Dustin never mentioned any nephews or a niece." Travis said, looking between us. "Really? Well, he sure mentioned you. He said you were the greatest." Dean said. "Yeah." Sam said, while nodded. Travis smiles, flattered. "Oh, he did? Huh."

"Listen, we wanted to ask you... what exactly happened out there?" I asked. "I'm not sure. He fell in a sinkhole, I went to the truck to get some rope, and, uh... by the time I got back..." He said, trailing off and not wanting to continue.

"What did you see?" I asked. "Nothing. Just Dustin." He replied. "No wounds or anything?" Sam asked. "Well, he was bleeding... from his eyes and his ears, his nose. But that's it." Travis said. "So you think it could be this whole mad cow thing?" Dean asked, curious.

"I don't know. That's what the doctors are saying." Travis said. "But if it was, he would've acted strange beforehand, like dementia, loss of motor control. You ever notice anything like that?" I asked.

"No. No way. But then again, if it wasn't some disease, what the hell was it?" He asked, looking between us. "That's a good question." Dean said. "You know, can you tell us where this happened?" I asked, Travis nodded. "Yeah."

A little later, we arrive at the scene of Dustin's death. The sinkhole was surrounded by police tape. "Huh. What do you think?" Dean asked us. "I don't know. But if that guy, Travis, was right, it happened pretty damn fast." I said.

We duck under the police tape and look into the hole with a flashlight. "So, what? Some sort of creature chewed on his brain?" Dean asked. "No, there'd be an entry wound. Sounds like this thing worked from the inside." Sam said.

"Huh. Looks like there's only room for one. You wanna flip a coin?" Dean asked us. "Dean, we have no idea what's down there." Sam said. "All right, I'll go if you're scared. You scared?" Dean asked, picking up nearby coil of rope.