chapter thirteen

It was getting colder, December was right around the corner, and the common room was flooded with blankets everywhere she turned. Grabbing her book bag and getting ready for today, Nora didn't check to see if Betty was still in the common room, quickly leaving. It t didn't take her long to rush through the halls, knowing there were only fifteen minutes left of breakfast.

"Thanks for waking me up." Nora to the group, rolling her eyes and sitting down beside Regulus. "I yelled from the common room." Regulus said, defending himself.

"I assumed you were already here." Atticus said as Evan jumped on board with that statement. Picking pieces of food from their plate, Nora knew the Gryffindors had the better food, sighing and grabbing the bacon strip from Regulus' plate. "Don't give me that look, you don't like bacon."

Regulus didn't eat much today, or worried Nora to know what was going on his brain, knowing they haven't been communicating a lot these days. "Hey everything okay?" Nora asked him, nudging his shoulder a little. Regulus hummed looking up from his pumpkin juice, giving a tired smile.

"Didn't sleep much, worried about Barty." He said, rubbing his eyes. "I know me too, you guys talk last night?" Nodding and sighing, Nora and regulus got up as she would drop him off to his ancient runes class.

"His mother wrote, she's still on board with it, however she might do it when he's 16, so basically the summer before our sixth year. Things are getting bad too, Tom riddle— well, he has a new name." Regulus took a second, walking past a group of Ravenclaws. "Lord Voldemort, Barty thinks he's more powerful than Dumbledore. Not to mention riddle and him know each other; which makes things worse." Regulus said in a panic.

"Hey hey, I'm sure everything will be working out, you never know what's going to happen two years from now, you're only 14, you're stressing out for no reason." Nora said, she was barley older than him. "How are you not?" He hissed, almost snapping at her.

"Trust me I am, but remember, we mask our feelings, we don't let people know our thoughts." Nora reminded. Before her eyes she saw Regulus almost as tall as her, watching him grow up before her eyes, something her parents nor Sirius will see.

There were times where Nora felt like a mother, showing the affection and communication her mother lacked, and there were times were Atticus was the father, emotionally available for both Evan and Regulus. It always worked out. "Promise everything will be okay?" Regulus asked, knowing Nora couldn't. "I'll try." She smiled, compromising with him as the two continued to walk.

"Have you done any more poems? I always did like to read them." Nora asked, seeing the grass turn white. "Here and   there." He blandly said, having no excitement in his tone.

"I do have a question for you." He said, getting Nora a little nervous. "You're still talking to Sirius aren't you?" He asked, both looking straight up and slowing down on their walk.

"Only talked to him on our birthday.. what I can't wish my twin a happy birthday?" Nora asked shaking her head. "No, you're allowed, just how you practically lied to me about going to a birthday party that was for you and Sirius and never thought to tell me?" He snapped. Nora felt her eyes become watery, turning to look at him.

"It was completely last minute," Nora quickly said, walking faster to keep up with Regulus. "Sirius just wanted me to have a good birthday, I've never got one. Sirius got the hugs, you got the love and all I got was how I'm a disappointment and how mother always regretted her decision to keep me." Panting and seeing her brother scoff, Nora wish he could hear instead of putting his anger in this, blocking out everything she was trying to say.

"I never got anything except from Andy and cissy, let alone you two barely cared. I was the one who was always left out, because I'm a girl. Father pretended her cared but he was too sick to give a damn, I thought if I went then I would know what it's like to be loved."