chapter thirty four

Over the years of being at Hogwarts, Nora has never felt so alone as she was today, sitting by herself in the library and getting work done while the stares of the students look at her and whisper about her. It was clear that the whole school knew about Sirius running away, she just wished they would whisper quieter.

Her eyelids were puffy enough to know that she was dwelling on her interaction with Sirius too much, there was so much more that she wanted to say, replaying the moment from different angles and angry at herself to know she didn't say something earlier.

She could barley focus on her own work, squeezing her eyes shut for a moment, trying to not let herself focus so much on what to say to Sirius the next time she sees him, wanting to do her ancient runes work.

Staring out the window and seeing some kids— Hufflepuffs sneak to the greenhouses, Nora smirked a little, watching the kids attempt to steal some herbs and make something delicious and yet, smokable.

"They're definitely going to get caught." Looking away from the window, Nora rolled her eyes when she knew it was James behind her; also looking out the window. Choosing not to say anything, Nora bit her lip, questioning how James knew she was here.

"You don't know that, they could be successfully rolling up their herbs." Nora saw to the boy, both looking away. Tiredly watching James come around the desk to sit in front of her, she saw the way James was happy enough to do this, talk to Nora in a public setting even if it was risky.

Being tucked in the corner of the library, Nora was surprised James had found her, wanting to give her some company.

The two hadn't talked since the beginning of the week, in all honesty, Nora was trying to keep her distance away from the lad, especially the spat her and Sirius has, she was sure Sirius would be talking bad about Nora and how she barely wanted to listen to what he said for say.

"How'd you find me?" Nora asked him, raising an eyebrow. James doesn't say anything, mischievously shrugging his shoulders and leaning back on the chair.

"Only you would be in the library while everyone else begins to go to dinner Nora." He said, leaning forward and putting his hands on the desk.

"What's wrong?" James asked her, noticing how puffy her eyes truly were. Nora hated the fact James could tell something was wrong with her, however being stubborn was in her genes when it came to her emotions, deflecting his question. "No idea what you're talking about."

James scoffed at the girl, observing her every move since they've gotten to hogwarts; she saw her become exhausted in the first week and counted at least 20 times where she Sirius and here exchanged looks.

"You still aren't talking to Sirius, you've taken one too many classes this term, and i noticed you are distracting yourself with work to numb the pain. All you've been doing on that sheet is drawing the constellations."

Looking down at the parchment, it was true, Nora was using the astronomy text book and drawing Sirius, Regulus and Vega — her middle name that she always hated.

"So what? Not all of us can just wing it and do pranks all the time." The brunette defended, her eyes becoming cold and distant from the boy. "Hey! No need to attack me right now, my main concern is you, not myself." James raised his voice a little, pointing his finger at her.

"Go worry about someone else James. I'm fine." She grumbled to the boy, becoming frustrated a little.

James too was becoming frustrated, seeing a wall that Nora was putting up with the one person she's tried to be civil with outside her friend group; she loathed the fact James was the one person she could count in, looking at him sadly.