chapter forty two

Nora Black knew at a young age that she will not let herself drown in her own tears, waking up to swollen eyes and a pounding headache that made her want to avada herself. That promise hadn't last long when having a Gryffindor brother, constantly worried about what would happen to him. All the worrying had been for nothing, realizing she's spent the last six years wasting her life.

The last six years at Hogwarts seemed to be hell for Nora, laying in her bed as she reminisces about what it was like being ten years old. The perfect age, not too old, but not too young, your imagination still crisp enough to entertain yourself when others are busy, but not bored easily.

Nora never accepted the fact she was a failure towards her own brother, knowing she was given one job, to keep her brothers safe— and yet, she only succeeded with one of them.

Birthdays were never really a big deal for herself, sipping her hot chocolate as regulus and evan sat down; smirks on their faces. Nora looked at Atticus, wondering if he knew what was up with them, confused looks exchanging to one another.

"What's up with the weird smiles?" Nora asked, blowing on her hot chocolate to be less hot. Regulus looked at Evan to speak, as the boy did the same, giggling. Nora has a look of disturbance, her eyes widening when she heard her brother and his best mate to act like ten year old girls when they see a cute lad.

"We have the best gift for you." Evan smiled, nudging regulus with a huge grin. Nora snorted at that, not believing the two, looking at Atticus. "Which is what? Not arguing with each other for the day?" He joked, rolling his eyes and eating his toast.

Regulus scoffed at the lad, taking a sip of his pumpkin juice as Evan shook his head. "Okay Mister 'Nora would love a book', at least we put some thought into our gift." Evan gritted.

Nora's eyes lit up as she smiled at Atticus getting her a book, a frown appearing on his faces. "Oh...you would've loved a book?" Evan asked, watching Atticus take something out of his bag for Nora.

Opening the parchment paper to cover the book, Nora saw a girl in comic like, a tear running down her right cheek, on the front page; with the title being CARRIE. Nora hadn't heard about the author, that was clearly a muggle, happy go see it was a horror book.

Lunging to give Atticus a big hug, Atticus was stunned to see his best friend so happy about the book choice, kissing his cheek. "I got it from a muggle book store in the city during the summer holidays, I knew you'd enjoy it." Atticus said, winking at Evan and regulus for overtaking the birthday gift they were planning.

"It's perfect, thanks Atticus." Nora gave a warm smile, a little giddy as she put the book in her bag, looking past the boys in front of us to see James at the Gryffindor table, noticing his eyes go dark, his jaw clenching, staring at her and Atticus.

Nora furrowed her eyebrows until she tried to not notice what was happening, looking back at her brother. "I'll be happy with whatever you two get me." Nora reminded them. In other words, she didn't want anything extravagant, feeling the need to go read her new book before class.

Feeling her stomach clench, the dangerous Slytherins had looked Nora up and down, narrowing her eyes at her, slipping a note into her book bag. "Happy Birthday Nora." Nott cheered the girl, pretending they were talking.

Furrowing her eyes and looking at Avery to know what this meant; the boy stood up and excused himself, gesturing for Nora to walk up faster so nobody expected the two to be together. Entering the corridor and walking beside him, Nora grabbed the note as she leaned against a wall, reading the note.

The dark lord is needing more, Black, Bulstrode and Rosier are soon going to be recruited. Time is running out. 

"Well talk about no pressure." Nora gritted out; throwing the paper back into Avery's face with disgust. Avery rolled his eyes, his tongue hitting the inside of his cheek.