chapter forty three

Her morning could not have gone worse, regretting to stay up to read her new book began the morning with a crucial headache, taking a trip down the hospital wing with Atticus, hearing his love life.

"I think McDonald is warming up to me. I mean, she brushed my arm yesterday when I made a joke— tell me I'm delusional." Atticus exclaimed a little to loud, scaring some of the younger kids around them.

"You could have a chance with her; we're going to hogsmeade again soon. Ask her out." Nora encouraged the lad, happy to know he's over Betty. The lad had a smile on his face, rubbing his hands together.

"Would she even say yes?" Atticus mumbles, almost frowning at the plan. "I would, if a guy asked me out." Nora said, giving him some reassurance.

Having a plan, the two walked towards the potions classroom, smiling at professor Slughorn who had to leave the class. Nora sat down with Atticus, knowing class didn't fully begin, sitting wherever they wanted to.

"Can I practise on you?" Atticus whispered, waving a hello at McDonald who walked in with McKinnon and Evans. Nora shrugged her shoulders, letting her friend try it out, clearing his throat.

"Nora, I think you're a wonderful, smart and such a beautiful girl to talk to, I was wondering if you'd be interested in going to hogsmeade with me?" Noras heart felt warm, trying to not blush at how Atticus was so nervous to speak, his voice shaky.

"If I were her, I'd say yes." Nora told the boy, putting her hand on her shoulder, going to ruffle her hair. Atticus let out a breath he didn't know he was holding in, his eyes lingering on Nora before the two were interrupted by James and McKinnon taking their seats in front of them.

"Er— I'm going to go to my seat." Atticus told the girl, heading over to McDonald. Nora left a lingering smile, watching how excited her best friend was to be with Mary McDonald, hoping he'll ask her at the end of class to see her reaction.

"Oi, Potter, where's Lupin?" Nora asked, having a confused face, acting like she doesn't know where he is— when she most definitely does.

"Food poisoning, probably, that happened to Mclaggen too." McKinnon piped in, turning around to face Nora with a grimace face. Nora pretended to be a little disgusted, taking note of that.

James hadn't turn around to face Nora, wondering what was wrong with him, not wanting to push it as she turned to see Atticus make McDonald laugh, his face getting more red.

"Alright children, today is potion making— oh miss black, you must need a partner for this," professor Slughorn came into the room, examining to make sure everyone had a partner.

"We'll take her!" McKinnon raised her hand, gesturing her eyes to James. Nora felt her hands get clammy, biting her lip for a moment before heading towards them, sitting on the side of McKinnon, thanking her.

"I need to boost my grade up, because someone here almost made our potion blow up last time." McKinnon said, nudging her arm in James's side. "I saw a spider." James defended himself, crossing his arms together and fixing his glasses.

Nora felt like she didn't need to intrude on their conversation, heading over to grab a cauldron and a spoon, her hand overlapping with Snape's, quickly pulling it away.

"Sorry."

"I should've known." The two said over each other, clenching their jaws. Noras heart beat went a little too fast for her to speak, holding her breath as she went to grab a spoon, Atticus noticing. 

"Why does it look like you've seen a ghost?" He asked with concern. "Our school is filled with ghosts." Nora breathed out, rolling her eyes at her friend. "Yeah but there are mean ghosts." Atticus defended himself, dispersing from Nora to go to his table.