chapter fifty five

Love, she didn't know what that was like, watching other couples all have different ways. It wasn't couples in general, family members kissing their kids heads at the station, telling them they love them, she never received any of that.

Being hit constantly was her parents way of loving them, Nora learned the hard way in fourth year, being told that getting hit wasn't love, especially getting hit with the crucio curse, confused and realizing her parents are just abusing her.

Nora knew she was a disappointment, never showing off that trait, trying to stay as the perfect daughter with many flaws, scared to speak up or have a voice in general. It always hurt her to know she'll never be like Sirius, and nor did she want to be like him, in routine of her thoughts and the way she acts with other people.

Sitting in the library always brought her peace, sitting by one of the tables and being able to study for dusk 'till dawn. It was a safe space she had in Hogwarts, hearing jazz music in the background with the record player Madame Pince had.

Nora wasn't alone this time, accompanied by James, both sitting at the same table but across, their feet touching each other every once in a while. She was tired, annoyed and frustrated, but James being in her space made those emotions go away, enjoying his company as she tried to help him with muggle studies.

"Merlins tit! What is an oven?" Nora looked at the parchment James had given her, slightly confused and a little worried by what that means. "Oh hell," James sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose, concentrating.

"An enclosed cavity where you can bake or cook food, such as cookies or other products?" James grimaced, hoping that was right. Nora stared at the sheet she had, not understanding any of it, faking a smile and telling the boy it's right, him getting happy.

"About time, I've been struggling with that one since last week." James smiled, calling it a day with muggle studies, ending on the win. Nora had given back his parchment when he noticed the essay she was writing, confused on what class this was for.

"Potions, an essay on the everlasting Elixirs. That's what Atticus told me." Nora rolled her eyes, grabbing her quill to begin writing again.

"What— when was this assigned?"

"Yesterday, due next week." Nora mumbled out, finishing up a sentence she had to write, hand cramping. "Oh, so I have time." James joked, getting the girl to look up and roll her eyes at him.

Silence grew over the two, sitting quietly as they did their work, needing each other to be there, even if they didn't always talk.

Nobody wanted to talk about Noras experience of what happened in DADA class, Slughorn did however talk to her, telling her that's also a traumatic thing to experience, letting her know she'll be okay in the next week or so. Nora didn't want to speak of it, still having nightmares, her mind in constant replay.

"Why do you do that?" Nora escaped her own thoughts, looking up at James, wondering what he's mumbling about.

"Do what?" She asks, putting her quill done, scratching her neck awkwardly. James smirked for a moment, rubbing his cheek with his thumb. "The way you disappear inside your head, your eyes fog over, what are you thinking about, Nora?" He asked in a gentle tone, almost concerned.

Nora knew she was going soft, James always picking up on her cues without even trying, she was obvious to the world, everyone could probably see right through her. Oh crap, she was doing it again, staring at someone and thinking of other things that could put her in a spiral, clearing her throat.

"Er— nothing, my mind was drawing a blank." Nora awkwardly said, not sure what James was trying to say towards her, his lips in a fine line before speaking. "Im just a little worried for you is all, Nora. We've become distant, even after what happened outside at the station."