chapter sixty two

AUGUST 23rd, 1973

The voices grew louder, she tried to block out the noise with her hands covering her ears. It had been a rough summer as it was, but sometimes covering for her brother was the harder part, pretending she was taking a nap after being tired in being in the heat all day, getting off her bed when she heard a loud thud.

She wasn't the only one to be worried, Regulus already leaving his room as Nora heard the thud from the living room. "Father! What was that noise?" Regulus panicked, Nora rushing to where they were, her mother laying on the floor.

"Don't worry, it's common to faint when stressed out, it's on our blood, especially the women." Orion gently said, his face frowning when he turned to look at Nora. "What do you mean? That shouldn't be normal." She asked, quite confused with his statement.

"Sweetheart, It's something in your mothers blood, also yours that is different for others, it's weaker, when you're angry, mad or under a spell, you lose control and tend to faint under pressure. It's a blood curse, to say it shortly." Her father explained. It made sense in a way, there were days where Nora did indeed pass out under the crucio curse, sometimes her mind went foggy and struggle to find the words.

But she never knew it was because of a disease her mother basically has. "I, have that too?" She asked, a little hesitant to believe it. "Unfortunately my dear, and it pains me every time to see you or your mother like this. Now be useful and put cold water on a towel and bring it back."

She didn't faint, she was sure of it, but the anger of last night didn't make this morning any better, managing to sleep through the whole night, her curtains closing on everyone else, not wanting to see anyone. Nora wanted to avoid the conversations of the prophet, ignoring people that only talked to her to get a rile out of her, saying she was a freak behind her back.

Some days, especially like the one today, she wishes what her purpose in life was, her head down on the table and being alone today. She sat on the very end of the table where nobody else sits, staying with only her thoughts her, staring at her glass with orange juice in it, everyone else enjoying their dinner.

She was forced to get up by Theo, somehow the lad broke the curse on the girls stairs, motivating her to get up, but all she wanted to do was sulk into her bed. She didn't deserve to be up right now, wishing she was sleeping and having no worries.

"She's insane, I mean look at her."

"Her brother obviously caused this."

"She's so sad and alone, it's pathetic."

Even if she were to try, the voices would never go away, wanting to rip her ears off and enjoy the quiet for the rest of her lifetime.

"Nora! You can't keep ignoring me, I'm your friend."

She didn't care who was in front of her, sitting up and frowning, staring at Theo. "What?" She asked harshly, her braid becoming messy. "Nora please, you need to be yourself again." He tried to tell her, his face being all to concerned for her.

Nora didn't have to time to hear the speech of being happy, her head becoming too heavy for her, resting her chin on her hand. "But this is me Theo, I've been like this for the past 6 years of my life. My life is crumbling because of one stupid fucking article." Nora gritted, rubbing her temples to try and get rid of the painful headache was experiencing.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to start something. Just worried is all." He wasn't going to leave soon, buttering a piece of garlic bread, pouring some pasta for himself and eating it. "Well be sorry a little quieter if you want to sit with me." She told him; Theo doing a thumbs up as he tries to not show how delicious the pasta was.