chapter thirty one

The Pureblood ball was always a magical event before summer ended, the magical lights, the music ringing through your ears as you inhale all the smoke as the parents get drunk. Not to mention the fact that it was all of the Purebloods, not just those in Slytherin. 

Putting on her long dark blue tulle sequin dress, Nora sat on regulus' bed as Orion helped the boy to tie his tie, she stared at the way her father had a glimpse of happiness in his eyes, staring at the youngest child.

"Are you two excited?" Orion asked his kids, making Regulus face the mirror, making sure the tie looked good enough.

Nora shrugged her shoulders towards her father, there nothing exciting about the Pureblood ball, going every year and acting like she likes everyone there. Not to mention she has to wear a dress that felt like a ballgown dress.

"You'll be okay darling, just look presentable— you too Regulus." Orion said, having his moustache curl up as he smiled at the children. Nora looked at regulus through
the mirror, both looking confused at that statement.

"Presentable—"

"Come on, the car will be here soon." He cut off Nora, patting regulus' shoulder and opening the bedroom door to leave, calling out for his wife to hurry up. Nora saw the way it was so suspicious as Orion stiffened up so quickly, immediately leaving the room.

"What the hell?" Nora asked, shifting her eyes to Regulus, also shrugging his shoulders. Ignoring the way her father acted, Nora delicately stood up, trying to not wrinkle the dress in any way.

Looking at herself in Regulus' mirror, Nora felt like she couldn't see herself behind all the prettiness, her hair curled as her lashes seemed longer, looking more mature than ever. She hated that feeling.

Leaving her brothers door and almost heading towards Sirius' room, Nora blinked twice as she realized he wasn't here, nor was his sarcasm was going to make her laugh, swallowing her tears for a minute, letting herself know Sirius will never be here anymore, moving on with his life.

"Nora darling, come along now we must go." Walburga politely said, scaring Nora a little as she was already scared by her father not having his threatening tone.

Something was clearly happening and yet Nora couldn't figure it out. Obeying her mother and quickly going down the stairs, her parents had already opened the door and began to go down the stairs to wave to the car.

"Is it just me, or are they happy for once?" Regulus asked his sister, grimacing a little. Nora scratched her head as she fixed the dress strap on her shoulder, biting her lip.

"I have no idea Reg, let's just enjoy it I guess." Nora said to her brother, letting him get into the car first as the two siblings had to face their parents, avoiding all eye contact.

Nora tried her best to look outside and ignore the whispers in French, really wishing they would speak louder so she could hear them. Regulus seemed like he knew what they were talking about, looking at the kids every now and then with a smile on their face.

"You look beautiful Nora." Walburga said to her daughter, avoiding eye contact. Nora mumbled a thank you, still trying to be polite.

This years Pureblood ball was at the Bulstrodes house, which made Nora even more excited because the Bulstrodes knew what type of food to make for special events, not to mention they have an actual ballroom in their manor.

Soon arriving as the sun was slowly setting, Nora was the last one to leave the car, thanking the driver before she got out, holding her dress. It made Nora a little nervous, just like any Pureblood ball, all that dancing with many people— she hated that.