Chapter XIV. I Can't Save Us

After the trial, I, Jaime, and Tyrion Lannister stand in the jail cell. Jaime says "I made a deal for you to keep your ungrateful head on your ungrateful neck a little while longer."

I say "Jaime, please"

Tyrion says "I'm sorry, what am I grateful? The opportunity to live and die at the Wall as punishment for a crime I did not commit?"

"we know but they do not, they could kill you now easily, Tyrion. your life will go for nothing"

Jaime angrily "You threw your life away. You threw it away. It's not a joke. You understand that, don't you?"

Tyrion smiles "Of course, it's a joke, just not a very funny one. I couldn't- I couldn't listen to her standing there telling her lies. I couldn't do it."

Jaime says "You fell in love with a whore."

"Yes, I fell in love with a whore. And I was stupid enough to think that she had fallen in love with me. That deal you made, it was everything Father wanted. You do see that? He gets you back as his heir. The future Lord of the Rock. And he ships me off to Castle Black, out of sight at last" I cross my arms to my chest leaning on the wall "All so perfect. It felt good to take that from him. He knows I'm innocent and he's willing to sacrifice me anyway. He's willing to sacrifice any of us. Not you. You're the golden son. You could kill a king, lose a hand, fuck your own sister, have a wife, you'll always be the golden son."

"Careful. We're the last friends you've got."

"At least I got to tell them what they really are."

"Yes, brilliant speech. They'll be talking about it for days to come. I thought you were a realist. Didn't realize you'd die for pride."

"Don't give up on me just yet. I survived one trial by combat, even though you weren't there to save me."

I say "You know what? I'm sure both of you will live a long life to be a pain in my ass"

Jaime says "I can't save you this time either. My training has proved that I can't beat a stable boy with my left hand."

I smile "And he can't beat me"

Tyrion says "Where's your sense of adventure? Even if you lose, imagine the look on Father's face when you fall" Jaime and I laugh "Our family name snuffed out with a single swing of the sword."

Jaime says "It is tempting."

"Well... Bronn fought for me once, he'll do it again. If he wins, I expect I'll be in his debt for the rest of my life."

"If he wins."

I ask "What do you mean?"

Tyrion says "Will you find him for me? Who does Cersei plan on naming as a champion? I hope it's Ser Meryn Trant. I'd enjoy watching Bronn disembowel that pompous child beater."

Jaime says "No. Not Ser Meryn."

I sigh "It's the mountain"

"Tell your son that I love him so much" 

Jaime and I share a sad look.

》》》》《《《《

Narrator POV

In Driftmark, Aeryn and Rhaena sit together in Rhaena's chamber. Rhaena says "There a raven came from Maelys" Aeryn nods "He said that the people who lived at Dragonstone are living at Rhaenys island"

Aeryn says "That's great, they survived"

"All of them, they should come right?"

"They should but you should go and see, you know Dragonstone was under your husband's commander and maybe will give it to Daeron"