Chapter VI. Join The Houses

Narrator POV

In the crypt. Ned holds a lantern as he leads Robert down the narrow, winding stone steps. As they descend, their breath becomes more and more visible from the cold, and Robert becomes more and more labored.

Ned sweeps the lantern in a semicircle; shadows lurch along a procession of granite pillars that recede into the dark "Tell me about Jon Arryn"

Robert turns to him "One minute he was fine, and then ... burned right through him, whatever it was. I loved that man"

"We both did"

"He never had to teach you much, but me ... You remember me at 16? All I wanted to do was crack skulls and fuck girls. He showed me what was what"

"Aye"

"Don't look at me like that

"Don't look at me like that. Not his fault I didn't listen" They laugh, sighs "I need you, Ned. Down at Kings Landing. Not up here, where you're no damn use to anybody. Lord Eddard Stark, I would name you the Hand of the king"

Ned kneels "I'm not worthy of the honor"

"I'm not trying to honor you. I'm trying to get you to run my kingdom while I eat, drink, and whore my way to an early grave. Damn it, Ned, stand up. You helped me win the Iron Throne, now help me keep the damn thing. We were meant to rule together. If your sister had lived, we would have been bound by blood. Well, it's not too late. I have a son, you have a daughter. We'll join our Houses, umm"

Ned looks at him knowing his friend's facial expression he wants to say a thing but does not know who "What else?"

"I came for another bound" Ned looks at him unsure "To take Lyanna" 

Ned's heart falls thinking that Robert wants Lyanna to be one of Robert's mistresses "What?"

"For Jamie Lannister"

Ned stares at his friend "You want the Kingslayer to marry my daughter"

"Yes, I heard about your girl 'Snow' You know he must be married to a girl after what he did"

"To marry a dishonor girl, not any girl and you choose this dishonorable girl, My daughter!!"

"He is the kingslayer, We are the ones who judged him to be deprived of his position and marry a dishonored girl"