Chapter VII. Kissed By Fire

In Harrenhal, the largest castle in the Seven Kingdoms, is the seat of House Whent in the riverlands, on the north shore of the Gods Eye. Since the burning of Harrenhal by dragonfire in Aegon's Conquest, however, the castle has become a dark and ruinous place. A man shouts "Riders coming through!" The gates open to a courtyard and Locke's men ride in. I look at Jaime, who sits withered astride his mount.

Men shout "The Kingslayer."

One of Locke's men forces Brienne, me, and Jaime to kneel in the courtyard "Down!"

"On your knees. Lord Bolton, I give you the Kingslayer." Locke pushes Jaime down with his foot. 

Jaime falls on his face without resistance and groans. 

I check Jaime "Jaime!"

Roose Bolton says "Pick him up, Locke." Locke picks up Jaime with the help of one of his men "You've lost a hand"

"No, my lord, he has it here." Locke taunts Jaime with the dismembered hand tied around his neck.

Roose pulls the hand from around Jaime's neck and hands it to Locke "Take this away." he came to me "Lady Lyanna" Roose gives me his hand. I look at him and he cuts me free and nods gives me his hand again and I take it and he helps me to stand.

Locke asks "Send it to his father?"

"You'll hold your tongue unless you want to lose it." checking my face "What did you do to her?"

Locke looks down.

I groan "I am fine, check on Lady Brienne"

Roose looks at Brienne and orders his men "Cut her free. Apologies, my lady. You're under my protection now."

Brienne is cut free "Thank you, my lord."

Roose says "Find suitable rooms for our guests. We'll speak later." he starts to walk away.

I head to Jaime holding his arm

Jaime says "Lord Bolton." Roose turns around "Is there word from the capital?"

Roose says "You haven't heard? Stannis Baratheon laid siege to King's Landing. Sailed into Blackwater Bay. Stormed the gates with thousands of men. And your sister How can I put this? Your sister is alive and well. Your father's forces prevailed."

Jaime falls to his knees in relief.

I sit next to him "Jaime" checking his head "You have a fever" I look at Roose.

Roose says "Ser Jaime isn't well. Take him to Qyburn."

I and Roose men pick Jaime up and they lead us away with Brienne.

》》》》《《《《

In Qyburn's workspace, I wash my face and sit next to Jaime. Qyburn tends to Jaime's arm, and Jaime winces and groans. His severed wrist is wet and disgusting. I rub Jaime's back "Is he going to be okay?"

Jaime asks "Will I die?"

"No. The corruption has spread. I fear it must be cut away. The safest course would be to take the whole arm off."

"Then you'll die. You're no maester. Where's your chain?"

"The Citadel stripped me of it. They found some of my experiments too bold. I can leave your upper arm, make the cut at your elbow."

Jaime chokes Qyburn to make his point "I don't need my right hand to kill you."

I hold Jaime's arm and try to stop him "Can we just hear his idea" looking at Qyburn "Any idea without cutting it?"