Chapter XII. The Long Night

In Winterfell, passageway, night, Sam shivers and rubs his hands as the wind whistles.

"Oi!" The Northman surprises Sam by forcing the hilt of a dragonglass sword in Sam's open hands.

An armored soldier pushes by. Sam is overwhelmed and anxious.

"Mind out."

"MOVE!"

Sam still shivering, walks through the dark passageway, passing many northern soldiers.

Sam emerges in the courtyard, which is full of activity in spite of the darkness. Men chatter as they prepare.

Sam stops short, cut off by Unsullied warriors, marching double time.

Nortman shouts "Look, on the west wall!"

Soldier shout "Get down to the crypt!"

A baby cries somewhere in the courtyard. Sam looks, then nervously changes direction.

Soldier shout "Just hold."

Man shouts "We'll take him."

Lyanna Mormont appears behind him, directing her men "Come on, help the lads!"

Soldier 1 "Yes, my lady."

Lyanna says "Quickly, now! Quickly! Get those in position."

"Come on."

Baelor Hightower orders "Close the gate!" Sam walks past Baelor, then exits "That's it."

Tyrion walks somberly through the busy courtyard. He picks up a bag and slings it over his shoulder. 

Bran rolls by, pushed by Thoen and accompanied by Alys Karstark and some northern soldiers.

They walk through the courtyard on their way to the Godswood.

The Northmen also stand at the ready, fronted by Robb Stark, Bernia Frey and Brienne. Grey Worm stands in command of the Unsullied. 

The Ramparts, Warmed by their fires, men stand in anticipation, eyes scanning the darkness.

Harwin and Reagan command the Trident men. Aemon, Viserys and Daemion Targaryen head next to their dragons and Laela with Beauty in steady.

Davos delivers a bucket of arrows. Sansa and Arya stare into the darkness. 

Sansa looks worried. Her eyes turn upwards in response to Bloodfyre's screech. Drogon, Mindyserpent, Drakon, Beauty and Rhaegal fly overhead.

Outside the walls, A company of Unsullied warriors double march to join the formation.

The entire Unsullied company stands at attention in disciplined rows and columns.

Maelys and Legolaes command their men outside the gate. Aeryn walks with Daenora and Aelor to their position to outside the walls.

A head of them stands a line of catapults, with stones and braziers by their sides.

In front of the siege weapons, the entire Dothraki horde is mounted and waiting, swords drawn.

Jaime and I share a look and say at the same time "You better come back"

We chuckle and he heads to the Lannister and Western men to command them with Arthur Lannister and Caspian Banefort.

Donnel Swann and Arlan Donddarion command the Stormsend men.

The Northmen also stand at the ready, fronted by Bernia and Brienne. Grey Worm stands in command of the Unsullied.