Chapter II. Harrenhal

Harrenhal, the largest castle in the Seven Kingdoms, is the seat of House Whent in the Riverlands, on the north shore of the Gods Eye.

Since the burning of Harrenhal by Dragonfire in Aegon's Conquest, however, the castle has become a dark and ruinous place.

Harrenhal's holdings are some of the richest in Westeros, claiming vast tracts of green fertile land which reach as far as the hills of House Wode near the crownlands

Harrenhal's holdings are some of the richest in Westeros, claiming vast tracts of green fertile land which reach as far as the hills of House Wode near the crownlands. Harren town is found near the castle.

According to a semi-canon source, Harrenhal is immensely strong. The castle has five towers of dizzying size, with equally monstrous curtain walls.

The walls are incredibly thick and its rooms are built on a scale that would be more comfortable for giants than humans. Ser Jaime Lannister thinks of the castle as Black Harren's folly.

Harrenhal has the largest chamber in Westeros, even larger than the Red Keep's throne room.

The Crown chose it as the location of the Great Council of 101 AC because it did not know how many would attend, and wanted a hall for at least five hundred lords and their entourages; more than a thousand came.

The castle covers three times as much ground as Winterfell and its buildings are so much larger that they can scarcely be compared.

Its stables can house a thousand horses, its godswood covers twenty acres, and its kitchens are as large as Winterfell's Great Hall.

However, much of Harrenhal has far gone into decay. The Whents use only the lower thirds of two of the five towers, letting the rest go to ruin, and many places in the castle have not been entered in decades. Bats infest the tops of some of the towers.

Harrenhal is built on a gigantic scale; its colossal curtain walls are sheer and high as mountain cliffs while atop the battlements the wood-and-iron scorpions seem as small as their namesakes when seen from the ground.

Harrenhal's gatehouse is as large as Winterfell's Great Keep, and its stone is discoloured and fissured. From outside the gatehouse, only the tops of five immense towers can be seen because the height of the walls obscures the view of them. Harrenhal's walls and towers are made of black stone.

Of the castle's five towers, the shortest is half again as high as the tallest one in Winterfell, yet none of the towers are proper, being bent, lumped, and cracked from the melting of the stone during the burning of Harrenhal by Balerion, the dragon of King Aegon I Targaryen, three centuries earlier. Their original names were lost with the death of Harren the Black.

》》》》《《《《

Narrator POV

It's a sunny day, A war camp is built and Jaime Lannister's army gathers around Harrenhal for a month. In a tent, Jaime and Harwin are standing around the map "There is no answer from the soldiers, Harwin"