81. D-Day

He splashed water on his face before looking up in the mirror, staring hard at his reflection. This was it.

Today was what it all came down to, today was the day it could all work out or go down the drain. Anything could happen today, it could go either way. Today, could save his soul and give him a new life or it could kill not only him but also those he wanted to protect. How high were the chances that he could muster up enough courage to go through what Alex wanted him to go through? That it won't actually backfire and in doing so, he doesn't end up hurting himself or worse, aunt Prae and Dome?

No! No, no, no, no... No! That can't... Not Dodo! No!

And can he even trust Alex? How sure he was of Alex? What if it was all a part of his parents' twisted schemes and he just ends up dancing to their tune?

But no... No, Alex isn't... he's the one person in the world after his aunt who'd tried to protect him... He's... he can't be... What would I do if he turns out to be like my parents?

"That's just nerves"

He straightened up with a start, only to breath out and groan seeing Alex's reflection in the mirror.

"Can you not appear out of thin air? You'd end up killing me one day!" He sighed dejectedly and turned off the water. "And should I even ask how you're in my bathroom? What are you, batman?"

And that slightly softened Alex's facial expressions into one of amusement. "I am"

Pete scoffed and rolled his eyes, picking up a towel to dry his face. "What you want now?"

"This" Alex shot a glance down Pete's appearance. "It's just nerves talking. Take a deep breath and block away all unnecessary thoughts or doubts. You will get through this"

Pete blinked. "You came to check on me?" He asked in wonder. "Why?"

Alex just stood there staring at him through the mirror, not answering. So Pete sighed and turned to face him, looking at the man with a lost look.

Alex sighed. "I just came to check on you one last time and to mentally prepare you for today" he said and Pete straightened up in alarm.

"What do you mean? Wa-what last- am I not seeing you again?" Pete asked, his face suddenly laced with anxiety. "You... you're leaving?" he asked, barely whispering.

Alex blinked. He sighed and pointed at Pete's collar, urging him to fix it. Once the nervous kid did what was asked, he straightened up and regarded the boy. "My job here is done"

"Done?" Pete breathed out, downright panicking. "Done? No, you're not done! It's not your job to screw your bosses and leave them hanging, your job is to protect them! You... that was your job and you... you've been helping me screw them over, over and over again! And now, you're leaving me at their mercy!" he snapped and Alex just stared at him before turning away from him. 

"No, I did my job, exactly the job I was hired to" he spoke as he walked to the door and stopped with his hand on the knob, looking up and sighing. "My job was never your parents, young man. It was you all along"

Pete blinked. "Wha..." 

Alex sighed and turned his head to regard Pete. "You really think you're that unloved? Your grandfather hired me, just for this day, just to look after you and make sure this day comes, so when you step out of here, be damn sure to put on your big boy pants and help yourself"

And with that, he left.

##