65. Unfold

"He..." Beam felt numb. And beyond terrified. That's all he'd been feeling all night. Even when they kept telling him what was going on or how it was going on, he just couldn't wrap his head around it. All he knew was that he didn't know the man and that's what he had been telling them. "What do you mean?"

"I'm sorry" Dave looked down guiltily. "We have evidence showing him in office or with Dr. Sompoi at least at three different occasions while you're being chased by that car. Even... the night your sister in law got attacked"

Beam's lips trembled as he looked down. Then he looked up at Dave. "And you shot him?!!" he shook in anger. "You shot an innocent man because of me?"

"Okay, now you might wanna step away from him, just in case" Lam deadpanned. "With everything going on, I don't want the charge of him hitting a government officer up my ass, though you deserve it"

Dave did what was asked, taking a step back and looked down. "I'm sorry... but I do not believe he was innocent in any case, let's make that clear. And he was evading law, that's what we do, we can't catch them, we make sure they still won't go on hurting people"

"But... that's not the case here" said his deputy. "I didn't authorize a shotout, he opened fire first!"

"Still, we lost our best lead here" Said Dave. "I'm so sorry"

"Sorry? You're-" Beam was seething. "I WAS TELLING YOU! ALL THIS TIME AND NONE OF YOU LISTENED!"

"Beam-"

"Shut up!" He snapped at Lam. "Shut the- I know how to keep my head leveled! I don't need you protecting my sanity! That ship has already sailed a long time ago!" He huffed. "All I need is to know that my kids can be safe!"

"It's okay... it's all okay. Let's get you home huh" Lam said softly. He shook his head when Beam tried to speak. "No! You don't need to think about it. Kids are waiting for you"

"Yeah, I'll see it here okay? We'll see it all, I promise" Prin said as he gave Mike a serious look who understood completely what his boss meant and bowed.

"Let's go" Lam said. "Before your son eats someone back home in anger"

Beam sighed and nodded, letting Lam lead him out. "Dad?" he called his father who didn't follow them.

Ben looked his way and smiled. "You go. I'll be right behind you" he kissed Beam's head and patted his cheek. "I should stay here and see what's happening. See, I'm a businessman, and even though you haven't been exposed to the world as my heir, I'd like to see what and how is going down here. This isn't something to just get over with and forget"

"But dad--"

"Go away!" Ben shooed him. "You'll be dropping dead any minute now and there is a very tiny and very angry little monster back home that we shouldn't leave without giving him whatever he wants if we don't want a bloodbath"

Beam blinked. "That is true" they laughed.

"It's gonna be okay. Okay? Go now" Ben reassured him and eyed Lam who nodded at him and then eyed Prin before leading Beam out.

Once they were gone, Ben lost the smile. "Beam said this wasn't the guy?" he asked Prin in a low tone.

"No sir" it was Mike who replied. "He... had a feeling. He didn't say why but he felt... that person seemed far too close for him to not know him. Officer Dave thought so too. The way that person was obsessed... it doesn't make sense Beam had no recollection of him"

Ben saw red. "Then why the hell are you just standing there? If he says so, then it is so! No matter what you think, if my son doesn't feel safe and he's gonna lose sleep over it then why did I leave you with him Prin?" Ben asked the man who looked down. "You're the one person I always trusted with Beam and this is the second time you let me down"