Chapter 35

Yan Heqing came out of the subway station. It was already snowing heavily, and there were still three weeks to celebrate the New Year. The trees on the street had already been hung with small red lanterns, which were lighting up and swaying in the snow. It was very naive.

Yan Heqing suddenly remembered his childhood.

At that time, there seemed to be a pomegranate tree at home. Its branches and leaves were so lush that they almost reached the ground. In late spring and early summer, the tree would be covered with small red lantern flowers like this.

When the weather got hot, my mother would move two rocking chairs under the tree, cook a pot of mint and mung bean soup, and take him and Lin Fengzhi to enjoy the coolness under the tree.

Then he hummed an unknown song.

It was very gentle, like a trickling stream. He fell asleep while drinking the refreshing mint and mung bean water while singing like that.

I slept soundly, and when I opened my eyes again, the sunset spread all over the yard, and my father was back.

Sometimes I would bring back a piece of meat, a few juicy vegetables, a bag of fresh fruit, and a pack of color-changing candies that children at that time particularly liked.

Sometimes it is a very fragrant and sweet little cake, the kind that is freshly fried on the street. I rush to bring it back for my mother and them to eat hot, and my father is always sweating profusely from running.

Yan Heqing once vowed to remember it deeply.

But as time passed, those memories that were as dazzling as rainbow lights gradually turned into black and white in his mind.

He couldn't even remember what his parents looked like.

The only thing that was clear was the fire, burning brightly.

The unconscious woman woke up for some reason. She hugged him and Lin Fengzhi, who were crying, and rushed out of the fire.

Not a word.

The woman lay quietly on the ground, her formerly beautiful face was like thick black smoke covering the sky, everything was gone and she couldn't see clearly.

Only he and Lin Fengzhi survived.

Everything in the house was burned to the ground, not even a photo was left.

There was a glimmer in Yan Heqing's eyes. He withdrew his gaze and opened his umbrella. Like every pedestrian who had just stepped out of the subway and hurried home for dinner, he followed the crowd and walked forward. Near the university town, there were many shops selling food at the subway entrance. Entrepreneurial college student who sells gadgets.

Mostly roses.

Yan Heqing squatted down and searched for a long time before he found a bucket of gladioli, including white and lavender ones.

Yan Heqing picked one each. In his unclear memory, his mother often wore beautiful cheongsams, but he forgot the color. Maybe it was white, lavender, pink, dark green...

After picking the flowers, Yan Heqing paid and the boss wanted to wrap them in newspapers, but Yan Heqing had already taken the flowers and left.

...

Lu Muchi drove to Yan Heqing's building. The windows on the third floor were dark.

He frowned hard, why didn't he come back so late?

He took out his cigarette case, took out a cigarette and lit it. He lowered his seat and lay down. His field of vision was much shorter. The fluttering snowflakes kept falling and patted on the windshield. His free fingers were slightly bent. He got up and lit the armrest box impatiently.