Christmas Special

"On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to meee..."

Cina cracks open one of her eyes not amused at Hwasang's terrible singing, which he no doubt got from her because Seonghwa's singing voice is actually pretty. She notices the clock reads 2:00AM. She throws a pillow at her son and rolls back over.

Once she notices there's empty space on both sides of her, her eyes snap back open.

Hwasang: They're downstairs helping Uncle Wonho.

Cina blinks still feeling like she's in the twilight zone. She's been on call at the hospital for two days not to mention back to back cardio surgeries, and three transplants in the last week.

Cina: Wonho?
Hwasang: You know the tradition mom. Everyone comes over on Christmas eve night and we celebrate into Christmas duh.

She does know, they've been doing that since college but she's been at the hospital so much time slipped away. Hwasang notices his mother's eyes sadden a bit.

Hwasang: There's no sad faces on Christmas!
Cina: You're right, let me brush my teeth and wash my face.
Hwasang: That's the spirit!

Meanwhile downstairs Xiaojun squints at the cornbread directions. Mumbling under his breath about just buying dinner rolls.

Chenle: It's not rocket science dad.
Xiaojun: I'm glad you feel that way.

He shoves the box into his son's hands ignoring his protest.

Yuta: Where's the pineapples for the ham?
San: I brought them!

Yuta frowns at the can.

Yuta: What is this?
San: Pineapples!
Yuta: Crushed pineapples, we need the circle pineapples.

Santana giggles as she mixes the ingredients for her sweet potato pie. It's become a staple at all of their holiday dinners now, next to Raven's red velvet cake.

Wooyoung: I made the holiday punch! Try this.

Yeosang takes a sip and his entire mouth turns up.

Yeosang: Fuck is this?
Wooyoung: Cranberry juice, ginger ale, and lots and lots of vodka. Oh! With ice.

Rin smiles as she sets some presents under the packed christmas tree.

Raven: You're getting better and better at wrapping.
Rin: Really?
Raven: Yeah, last year we knew what you got us before we even finished unwrapping.

Cina comes downstairs greeting and hugging everybody.

Seonghwa: We told Hwa to just let you sleep but the boy is hardheaded.
Yuta: Just like his daddy, no?
Seonghwa: Shut up.
Wonnie: Auntie Cina, Uncle Jongho is going on and on about pasta salad in the kitchen.
Yeosang: He has to let that hurt go, my God.

Jongho was instructed to only bring the drinks and not cook a thing, safe to say he was offended.

Char: I hope you all enjoy the gingerbread cookies! I used a new recipe.
Elena: Char your bake goods are always on point, you can piss in them and I'll still eat it!

Yeosang frowns.

Changkyun: I don't know about all that freaky shit but yeah, I'm sure the new recipe is great.

Char giggles.

Keeho: If you got me socks again this year I swear to-
Leedo: It's the thought that counts.
Keeho: Not when you're rich it doesn't!
Yuta: No, I'm rich. You two are broke, two bills to be exact.
Keeho: That didn't ask to be here.
Leedo: Bingo!
Yuta: Smartasses.
Seonghwa: Just like his daddy, no?

Jennie comes downstairs looking equally as sleepy as her mother was a few minutes ago.

Jennie: Is the food ready?

Yeosang sticks his finger in the corner of his daughter's eyes.

Yeosang: You could've at least washed your face, eyeboogers all over the place.

She slaps away his hand.

Jennie: I don't have to impress you people, you're family.

Chenle walks into the room stopping to smile at his girlfriend.

Hwasang: It's not too late to find a new girlfriend.
Jennie: Shut up!

Hyungwon opens the oven and frowns.

Hyungwon: Where's the turkey?
Shownu: We had turkey for thanksgiving so for Christmas it's ham and pot roast. Shouldn't have the same food back to back.
Hyungwon: Who made that rule? I like turkey!
Santana: Well, learn to like ham.

She shoves a piece in his mouth.

Hyungwon: Not bad!
Yuta: Of course it isn't, I made it.
Hyungwon: You being able to make a ham? Never would have thought.
Yuta: I'm a great cook, thank you very much.
Elena: Great is a generous word babe.
Keeho: Mm, I don't know. Dad has you beat mom.

Elena gasps.

Elena: As far as?
Keeho: Lasagna, meatloaf, stuffed shells, alfredo, steak, tacos-
Elena: Okay stop talking. Ungrateful, all of ya!

San sneezes and it goes all over Yeosang's face. Minhyuk holds him back from killing his brother in law.

Cina: The house smells amazing.
Raven: It does, doesn't it?

She hands Cina a holiday cocktail. Thankfully she remade the punch that Wooyoung had earlier.

Cina: Thank you for pulling longer shifts at the hospital this week, especially so close to the holidays.
Raven: Anytime C. Just because you're the chief doesn't mean you have to take on all the burden.
Cina: I don't know what I'd do without you, Ten, and Santana.

Raven smiles.

Raven: Anything for family.

Cina stares around her house in awe, there's so much happiness and love surrounding her. It's a miracle to stay close to friends for years let alone live in the same neighborhood and raise your kids together.

Blessings.

She is truly blessed, they all are.

This is another holiday that proves it, with many more to come.

____

merry christmas family!!

ik i've been mia for a while but as i mentioned before this med program is no joke, and i miss you all & writing SOOO much. in the new year one of my resolutions is to make more time for it.

love you again and have a blessed holiday <3