Chapter 144 Qianqiu Festival banquet

On the day of the Qianqiu Festival, the whole world celebrates and amnesty is granted.

This was the twenty-fifth birthday of Emperor Chengxuan after he ascended the throne. It should have been a joyous day, but he seemed depressed because his youngest son, little Ninth, suddenly fell seriously ill and had been having a fever for three days and three nights.

Half a month ago, he had written the edict to appoint little Ninth as the crown prince, intending to announce the good news of little Ninth as the crown prince during the Qianqiu Festival. Unexpectedly, this disaster happened. According to the imperial physician, little Ninth might be in danger...

Although he loves his son dearly, as an Emperor he has to put the country and the people first. Therefore, he could only wait and see how the issue of appointing a crown prince would develop.

The day before the Qianqiu Festival, Emperor Chengxuan and the Empress dressed in their best clothes and went to the National Temple to burn incense. Master Liao Kong led the monks in chanting the Wanshou Sutra, praying for the Emperor and Empress, and drew a peace amulet for the Ninth Prince, wishing him a speedy recovery.

After returning to the palace, it happened that the envoys from Beidi came to the capital with a large number of jewels and beauties to seek peace. Emperor Chengxuan's mood eased a little and he smiled from the bottom of his heart.

The next day, numerous officials entered the palace, and a grand banquet was held in Huayue Palace to celebrate the blessings of the Emperor.

The Qianqiu Festival dinner had a clear rule that officials above the third rank could bring their wives into the palace. Recently, Zhu Qiliang, the Minister of the Dali Temple, was away on official business, so Cui Muli naturally took over and came to the banquet to congratulate on behalf of the Dali Temple.

From the hour of chen, a large number of magnificent carriages were waiting in an orderly manner outside the palace gate. They were the relatives of the court officials, and they could take advantage of the Qianqiu Festival to enter the palace to meet the Emperor and Empress.

This was not the first time Madam Xie entered the palace, so she was familiar with the following procedures. She looked at Xie Miao opposite her and said, "A-Miao, there are many rules in the palace, but you don't need to be afraid. Just follow me later."

Xie Miao deliberately misinterpreted her meaning and said respectfully: "Yes Mother, I will be careful with my words and actions and try not to cause trouble for the Cui Mansion."

Madam Xie glanced at her and said angrily, "You're already eighteen, why are you still so naughty? You're not much better than Musheng."

Xie Miao asked: "So you prefer me to be more sensible?"

Madam Xie shook her head and held her hand lovingly, "Like this is already very good."

When A-Miao first married Muli, she was afraid that A-Miao would be upset and do something extreme. Fortunately, A-Miao understood the greater good and behaved impeccably in front of others. As for Muli, she was also worried that he would lose control of his emotions and be rude to A-Miao. But since they got married, he put aside his arrogance and gave A-Miao immense respect and understanding.

Madam Xie no longer thought about interfering with her niece's decision. If she was willing to accept Muli, that would be all that was desired. If she was not willing to accept Muli, then she would protect her from the wind and rain.

A gentle voice came from outside, "Guard Zhou, it turns out you are here. The Empress has been looking for you everywhere."

Madam Xie lifted the curtain and peeked out. She saw a young man with broad shoulders and narrow waist, standing in front of the palace gate. He was wearing a black and gold qilin robe with qilin patterns embroidered over his shoulders. His right hand was resting on the scabbard at his waist. His eyes were sharp and his bearing was dignified.