Chapter 5: Sneaky Sneaks

-Chapter 5-

I took off running down the dirt path that snaked through the forest. I needed to do something to shake the soreness from my body.

It was frustrating having a mother like mine. Everytime I turned around I was punished, and half the time I was innocent of whatever nonsense she accused me of.

It was hard to have a sick mother. Especially one who was sick in the head.

One who thought you were a slut or an outcast or some sort of monster.

It sucked when the people who were supposed to love you most, were incapable of that love.

I'm seventeen, I reminded myself. This chapter of my life was almost over. I had two years left of school.

Then I could walk away.

The only contact Mother and I would share would be through Christmas cards. No more punishments or name calling.

I launched myself at a low hanging tree branch and hiked my way to the top, perching myself like an eagle, I spread my arms.

Rub in a cage a wing that would be free.

"BOO!" a voice roared, startling me so bad I nearly lost my balance.

Luckily, monkey boy was there to pin me to the trunk, arms on either side of my head. He was grinning a toothy white smile, striking brown eyes sparkling with amusement.

Now, I was more angry than startled and slapped him on his stupid muscled chest. There was a dark purple bruise where I'd gotten him in the cheek the day before.

"Did I scare you, sugar cookie?" He asked, doing that thing again where he cocked his head to the side.

The monkey had unbelievably blond hair that fell to his shoulders, and was literally the most handsome man that could ever be. He had high cheekbones, a strong chin, and kept those curious puppy brown eyes trained on my lips. Ooh, how I hated him!

My cheeks darkened under his gaze as I tried to shove him away, but monkey boy caught my wrists.

He tsked me. "We wouldn't want a repeat of last night with no Gabriel to catch you. I'm Luke," he announced.

"How do...you keep finding me?"

"It's really difficult," monkey boy admitted. "You're as quiet as me. Like a ninja."

Goosebumps trailed my arms as the light scent of vanilla tickled my nose. How did he know I pretended I was a ninja?

"Do...you want to be a sneak with me?" The monkey's voice had gone husky.

"A sneaky sneak?"

"Together we can be the sneakiest sneaks of them all." Luke winked.

***

Luke had me by the hand as we raced through the forest. "My uncle owns a restaurant a couple blocks from here," he explained. "And my little brother is on kitchen duty."

I wasn't sure where he was going with this.

"I want to prank him!" Luke laughed at my expression. "You and me will make a perfect team because of our stealth factor. We will sneak into the kitchen and...take all his vegetables away!"

"Vegetables?" I was confused.

Monkey boy nodded, continuing in a dark voice. "I hate the vegetables..."

"But if you take away all the vegetables, won't that hurt your uncle's restaurant?"

Luke face palmed. "Good point...New plan!" He announced, sneakers scraping to a stop against the gravel. The restaurant came into view across the road. Several cars were parked out front. I felt my nerves kick in.

People.

A lot of people.

Suddenly, Luke's lips brushed my ear, whispering a plan full of deception and skill in his playful, husky voice.

Under normal circumstances, no person could have dragged me out of the forest.

Mother would be furious if she knew I was standing out in the open with a boy like Luke. She would demand to know if we were sleeping together, and no matter what my answer, she would choose to beat me senseless.

I snuck a peek at Luke. He snuck one back and I blushed as he grinned.

Until today, I hadn't realized there could be other people out there like me. Other people who enjoyed tree climbing and practicing their ninja stealth.

The thought had butterflies starting in my belly. I wish I could have friends; people in my life like Luke and Gabriel and even Kota.

They didn't seem like rapers.

They seemed like boys who caught girls when they fell from trees. They were silly and sweet...and I wanted them in my life.

I didn't want to be alone anymore.

We could go exploring the sawdust pile they had mentioned, or I could help them on their late night patrols once Mother fell asleep.

I was already formulating a plan as Luke tugged me towards the doors of the restaurant. "Sang?" Luke asked, looking back to me.

"Hmm?" I tried not to pout because he had jostled me from my thoughts.

He grinned. "I like that dreamy look on your fa--"

Luke crashed into a man in a grey suit. Luke leapt up, scrambling to help the customer. "Sorry, Mr. Blackbourne, we were just..."

The gentleman's silver eyes shifted to me as he brushed off the sleeve of his overcoat. My breath caught.

He was...perfection.

His hair was a soft brown, cut short and brushed away from his face. On his nose were black rimmed glasses and I watched as the corner of his mouth kicked up into a millimeter smile. "You must be Miss Sorenson." He offered his hand.

Don't be rude Sang!

I forced my hand forward, and his fingers closed over mine. I couldn't keep the man's gaze. It took all my effort to not rip my hand away.

"I'm Mr. Blackbourne. I'll be teaching over at Ashley Waters High School this year."

For some reason, I found this information a relief. Teacher? I never had a problem with teachers. Though this Mr. Blackbourne looked particularly young. Like, not even twenty, young.

"It's...nice to meet you," I managed as monkey boy sighed impatiently.

"Mr. Blackbourne, you're going to ruin our progress!" Luke drew me close to his chest and my cheeks started fire. I couldn't stop myself before I smacked him. He laughed softly. "There she is! My cheeky little sugar cookie."

With that, he took my hand and dragged me into the restaurant, waving goodbye to Mr. Blackbourne.