Chapter 70: Luke

-Chapter 70-

Luke Taylor's POV:

I walked down the halls of the hospital, waiting for Sang to finish her rounds. She owed me a favor for taking her here, and I wondered what I should ask for.

Some time alone with her would be nice. Just me and her. I could take Sang out to the beach for the weekend or we could go to an amusement park. Something fun.

Something that would help me get to know the real her. Sang was flipping beautiful, it was true and just looking into her green eyes had me wanting...well all of her. Leave me alone. I'm a man.

Yeah, a date was the way to go.

I rounded the halls coming back down to North's room. When I peeked in the rectangle window, I could see Sang curled up next to North.

What the hell?

He was petting her hair, more kindly than I had ever seen him treat another person. He was looking down at her with something warm in his brown eyes.

My stomach twisted. I knew that most of my brothers were interested in Sang, but dammit, my own brother?

That was just wrong, wasn't it?

I mean, I guess we were only half brothers, and though I didn't totally hate the idea of sharing Sang with him, North had been mean to her from the start...Well, maybe callous would be a better word.

North had no interest in Sang the last time I checked.

Where the hell did this come from? Was it because North was injured? Did Sang think it was her fault? Where was Dr. Green?

A million questions raced through my mind as North suddenly looked up, his gaze meeting mine through the glass. He scowled, giving me the finger.

I took it as an opportunity to enter the room.

"Dammit, Lucian. Get out!" North growled, being extra careful not to disturb Sang.

I pressed a finger to my lips. "Shh, you wouldn't want to wake her."

He looked down at Sang, brushing a lock of blonde hair from her face. I took the opportunity to size up my brother. North was really beat up.

"Hey, North, are you okay? The car rolled and everything. I'm sorry we didn't get to you sooner."

"Stop." North's features twisted up a moment before he took a breath. "Stop being such an idiot." He smiled a North smile, which was little more than a grimace. "I'm safe."

"Yeah, and so is Matthew from what I've heard." I picked at my sleeve. "I overheard Dr. Green talking with Sang. Apparently, she cares very deeply for us."

North seemed shocked, though I'm not sure why. If he really stopped to think about it, he would realize we came into Sang's life like a fucking wrecking ball. Or maybe, she came like a fucking wrecking ball into ours.

From that day I scared Sang out of that tree, she belonged to us. From the moment she smacked me across the face, she had my heart.

Beautiful.

Resilient.

Sweet-hearted.

And terribly innocent.

Hopefully, her innocence hadn't all been washed away by her weekend of sheer hell. I still could not belive that her own mother had sold her to Mr. Hendricks.

Mrs. Sorenson would have let that man kidnap and fuck her daughter bloody.

My hands balled up into fists at the memory. I would have my fucking revenge one day. It took me a moment to remember where I was.

"She really said she cares for us?" asked North with more boyish nervousness than I had ever seen in him before.

I put my finger to my lips again, signalling he should whisper. "Yes, she really did, but she cares for Matthew, too. I'm not sure how you feel about that."

"He saved my fucking life, Luke."

"What?"

"Matthew. Seriously, the whole damn car was spinning because I lost control and we started rolling and my head smacked into the ceiling.

"The next thing I know, Matthew is standing over me, smacking me awake after dragging me out of the wreckage and away from the fire, all the while he had this enormous piece of glass stabbed into his eyeball. There's blood everywhere and fuck, Luke, I wanted to cry like a little bitch.

"I puked my guts out, and it was Matthew who told me to get moving. The fucking guy with internal bleeding and glass that was probably poking his brain, tells me to get moving!

"Matthew is a fucking monster. If he saved Sang half as incredibly as he saved me, the guy deserves to be on our team, and quite fucking frankly, I would be proud to call him family."

"Did he really save you?"

Shit. We had woken Sang up, and now she was looking up at North with those big eyes of hers.

North smiled, sort of. "Yeah."

"Matt is incredible," Sang breathed. She must be really out of it because she put her hand on North's cheek. "You have stubble now, too. I like it."

"Ahem!" I coughed, drawing Sang's startled gaze.

"This isn't what it looks like!" She tried to shove her way out of North's arms and nearly toppled out of the hospital bed. Of course, North caught her.

I crossed my arms, putting on my most stern face. "And what exactly is this, young lady?" Haha, I could be Mr. Blackbourne!

Sang blushed, dipping her head against North's chest. "Make him stop, North," she pleaded, though North barely had to cock a brow before I was getting the hell out of dodge.