Chapter 30: With Your Arms Around Me

*Due to an increase in comments regarding North and his less than favorable behavior, I do want to assure you, he gets better. Much better.

Maybe North will even love Sang one day. But today is not that day.

-Arkie1212

-Chapter 30-

I turned my cellphone off after denying another call from Luke and turned over in the weird smelling bed.

Don't cry. Don't cry. Don't cry.

I thought North and I had crossed onto some ground of understanding. I mean, he had offered to brush my hair. Why was he acting like I was monopolizing his brothers?

Sure Gabriel was here, and Mr. Blackbourne, and maybe Dr. Green later tonight, but Luke had asked if he could call me. He wanted to talk after his shift.

I dragged the blankets over my head. The feeling of wanting to cry had passed. Instead I felt annoyed. North confused me. He was more hot and cold than a hormonal teenage girl who just got her first period.

"Sang?"

The blankets were being pulled away from my head and suddenly Luke was standing there in the dark.

His blond hair was messy as if he had been running, and he still wore his black uniform from the diner.

"I...didn't wake you, did I?" Luke asked quietly. His hands were tucked into his pockets and he waited for me to shake my head no before continuing. "I'm sorry for North."

"He really is a grump, huh?"

Luke shrugged. "Yeah, and super overprotective. He didn't realize I called you. I was going to have him call you back to apologize, but you weren't answering and then I got worried."

"You shouldn't worry about me."

Luke shifted to sit on the edge of the bed. His brown eyes searching my face a moment before dropping to the carpet. "I'm going to worry until I know you're alright."

I dropped back on my pillow, not knowing what to say. "I'm always alright. You didn't do anything."

"Just because you don't cry, that doesn't mean you're alright."

"Yes it does."

"Okay, so hug me."

I glanced over, confused. "What will that prove?"

"It will prove you forgive me."

I hesitated before sitting up and opening my arms. Luke mauled me, knocking me back on the mattress and rolling us until I was on top of his chest. We were giggling up a storm and then he began to tickle me. My breath caught as my giggles turned into squeals for help. "I can't breathe!" I laughed as he pinned me down and went for my sides.

I could tell he was being careful of my bruises and his eyes carefully looked me over for signs of discomfort. Luke stopped after another moment and dropped to his side, propping up his head with his hand. "There's the smile I've been looking for."

He pulled me close to his chest, tucking my head under his chin. The sound of his heart was comforting and I found my eyes closing before I could even whisper a goodnight.

***

I woke again in darkness. Someone was holding me, his arm around my middle. Luke, I realized distantly. I was still too tired to open my eyes.