Chapter 78: You Won't Like Him When He's Angry

-Chapter 78-

Matthew Eli's POV:

Okay, the damn eyepatch made it impossible to sleep. It was tossed on the floor half way through the night as I shifted onto my back. I stared up at the popcorn across the white ceiling and listened to the quiet whir of the fan.

I couldn't wait for my bandages to come off. I wanted to know how ruined my eye was, and I was really hating the looks I got. Pirate? Fuck them. Cyclops? Fuck that too. Humor only got you so far.

I sighed as a peculiar sound drifted to my ears. There was someone else in here. I peeked off the edge of the bed to see Sang curled up in a ball. Tears were on her cheeks as she whimpered. A nightmare was eating away at her.

"Shit," I breathed. Why was she on the floor in here? I should have told one of the others to stay close to her, so I...

I picked Sang up in my arms. Her blonde hair was wild as I slid her in between the soft bed sheets. She reached out for me when I pulled back. "Mattie?" she whimpered, or maybe I imagined it.

Something wet was on my cheek as I slipped in next to her. "Don't you call me that, beautiful," I murmured, drawing her close to my chest. She sighed deeply, as if she finally found peace.

I pet her hair for a long time. Long enough for the sun to rise and for the rest of the house to wake up.

Sang was going to be having nightmares for years, likely, and once we take down the sex ring she may have them for the rest of her life.

Sang had already killed people. She's been hurt by those who were supposed to love her most.

I slowly got out of bed. My bandages felt...wet, and I figured I should see the doctor. Before I left, I gently woke Sang.

Her green eyes opened, and she smiled when she saw me. It was like she didn't even notice the fact I was missing an eye. "Good morning~" Sang rolled onto her stomach.

I smiled slightly running my hand over my stubbled jaw. "You sleep alright, girl?"

She nodded. "I don't think I dreamed, or if I did I can't remember. Did you sleep in here with me?"

"I found you on the floor. You...weren't sleeping well, so I just held you until you stopped thrashing."

Sang blushed and I wondered if I had said something that embarrassed her.

"What's the plan for the day?" she finally asked.

"Mmm, I'll probably have the boys and you train for a few hours. Work on cardio and strength building. Mr. Blackbourne, Dr. Green and I have some things to discuss."

"What kind of things?"

"The kind that a beautiful girl like you shouldn't have to worry about." I would have winked, but since that wasn't an option, I smirked. "I look forward to seeing your progress, Sang. Really, I do."

She beamed. She would get her confidence back soon enough, I knew. Especially after the way she had handled Kota and Nathan.

***

An hour later, Mr. Blackbourne, Dr. Green and I were packed into a black BMW.

I sat in the passenger seat while Mr. Blackbourne drove. Dr. Green peeped over my shoulder. "So, this plan of yours Matthew, you really think it'll work?"

"I think it will get Sang and the team back into Ashley Waters High School so that you can complete your first mission as well as collect intel focused on the sex ring now that we know Mr. Hendricks is a part of it."