Chapter 75: Nobody Likes An Ultimatum

-Chapter 75-

Sang Sorenson's POV:

The sound of rustling leaves woke me from below. Footsteps. Soft. Alone.

I was careful as I sat up. My limbs were stiff from keeping myself balanced all night. A beautiful pink dawn was visible through the canopy of tree branches.

It took another moment before all the events from last night came back to me.

Kota didn't want me in his family.

I was unwanted.

A burden.

I swallowed hard, trying to ignore the pain in my chest as I stared off across the treetops.

What was I going to do now? I'm a shadow wolf, after all. I needed a job where I didn't need a social security number or high school diploma...

A lady of the night?

A hitman.

Nothing else really came to mind aside from fleeing the country. I could go to Mexico... I could open up a taco shack and call it Taco to Me. Yeah...now this was a plan!

The sound of footsteps drawing closer snapped me out of my thoughts. Who would be out this early?

I glanced down to see a man kicking at some fallen leaves. As though he sensed my gaze, his blue eyes shot up to mine. It was Matt!

"Sang, are you ready to come down?"

My heart was thundering as I shook my head. No way. I was not going back! Not even with Matt. He was the new Blackbourne team leader and I couldn't be around them anymore.

I couldn't be a burden.

Or a whore.

I didn't want to be in their lives if one day they would come to regret meeting me.

"Sang, I've been waiting all night for you to wake up. Are you sure you're not ready?" Matt looked like hell. Like literally he crawled out of hell, with his half bandaged face and an eyepatch over the top. His red hair was messy and spiked out to the side.

He wore his leather jacket and dark jeans, and tilted his head slightly as he looked up at me.

Had he really been out here all night? No way. He would have woken me up. He wouldn't have just--

"Luke was the one who found you, if you were wondering. He said that there was a reason you used to call him Monkey Boy."

Luke was looking for me?

"The big guy, Silas, was pretty annoyed he found you first, North was on his tail, and by that time Dr. Green and I were walking by."

Silas, too? And North and Dr. Green?

Oh no.

I had made them waste another night worrying about me.

"Mr. Blackbourne was searching for you and Gabriel and Victor."

"Then where are they?" I couldn't help myself. If what he was saying was true, wouldn't they be here? Or did they just think it was their responsibility to find me now when I got into trouble.