Chapter 56: What You Mean to Me

-Chapter 56-

Dr. Sean Green's POV:

"And take a deep breath... Very good."

I had my stethoscope pressed to Sang's back as I checked her lungs. There was no sign of crackling. Her heartbeat was strong. She blushed darkly when I asked her to change into the thin hospital gown.

Normal, adorable Sang.

I even got to give her my flirty smile, and she told me how much she loves my curly hair. I lowered my face to hers and Sang took a moment to run her fingers through my sandy blond locks.

That's right, Sang loves my hair.

After the physical part of the physical, I was both relieved and disturbed. Sang didn't have any injury more serious than the wound on her arm, but her breasts, of what she would show me were covered in several small, oval-shaped bruises.

The marks her mother had left on her stomach had almost faded. They were a sickly yellow, and she did not wince when my fingers brushed over the skin.

I waited outside the room for Sang to change into her normal clothes. "You can come back in, Dr. Green," she called, and I felt a pang in my heart when I entered.

I saw Sang there, sitting on the exam table in the loose black tee and cotton shorts Gabriel had gotten her.

She was lovely.

Beautiful, despite the shadows in her eyes, and strong.

"Sang, would you like to talk about what happened?"

She pressed her lips together. "What's to talk about? I told you all, Matt and I fought our way out."

"That's not what I mean, sweet pea." I murmured, sitting down in the office chair next to the table.

Sang dropped back on the table, tossing her arms into the air. "Well, what do you mean, Dr. Green?"

"Sean," I corrected with a wink. "And what I mean is, how are you feeling, Pookie?"

She giggled, but it wasn't quite a happy sound. "My arm hurts worse than I would like to admit, and..."

"And what?"

"And...I feel bad about the people I hurt. Matt said I shouldn't feel bad, because the men were pigs...but...I do feel bad."

"That's natural, Sang. To feel remorse for something like this, it means you're human."

"I would do it again, Dr. Green."

Her words struck me silent, almost. "What?"

"If someone was trying to hurt you, Dr. Green...I would fucking kill them." Sang covered her face with her tiny hands. "I would do whatever I could to protect you, and Kota and Silas and everyone."

Our sweet Sang was not so innocent anymore. She had tasted blood.

"I want to be good, Dr. Green. I really do, but you guys crossed the world for me--"

"It was really only about a hundred miles, Pookie."

She smiled beneath her hands. "It's not just that. You've saved me more than once. You and the others are there for me. You've known me barely a week and call me family."

"I've known you barely a week, and I'm beginning to think Gabriel has the right idea calling you Trouble." I stood up so I could remove the girl's hands from her face. "Don't you go hiding that pretty smile from me, Pookie."

Her smile broadened, and before I could stop myself, I leaned down and kissed her waiting lips.

Just once.

It was a soft, quick kiss.

There was confusion in her eyes. We didn't need anymore confusion right now. "I kissed you. Sometimes friends kiss." I smiled when understanding registered in her eyes.

"I haven't, had a lot of experience with friends. I like when you kiss me." She blushed once she had said it, as though she had made a mistake.

But I kissed her again before her thoughts could run away with her, more deeply. My lips lingered on hers, and her green eyes flickered closed as she began to kiss me back...

***

Sang Sorenson's POV:

I loved how Dr. Green took the time to explain things to me. I loved that friends could kiss.

As he drove me back to Mr. Blackbourne's house, Dr. Green took the time to explain everything.

We were family now, after all, and family loves each other. It was really a new concept for me. Marie and I had known each other all our lives and I did not remember a single instance where she had told me she loved me. Same with my mother and father. We didn't do anything together, and not a member of my family would have ever searched for me after I had gone missing.

I had no records, after all.

There was no person to report missing. Well, there was that and the fact my own mother had fucking sold me to my high school principal to be used in a sex ring.

My new family wasn't like that.

There was love here, and though I had never experienced such a feeling first hand, I was determined to discover it now.

I remembered the way Victor had pulled me into his arms and told me he loved me. The memory left me with warm fuzzies to know he truly accepted me into the family. I loved the idea that the next time I saw him, I could kiss him on the mouth to thank him for his acceptance.

We were pulling into the driveway and I was prepared to throw my arms around Victor the moment we got inside... Maybe I should be kissing all of them to say thank you?

"Sang, sweetheart, just to clarify, kissing should only be done within our family."

I looked to Dr. Green, blushing. I would never dream about kissing someone outside our family. Quite frankly, I doubted I would ever even have friends outside our family. "What kind of kisses?" I asked suddenly, not wanting to mess anything up. "If I kiss you, and then I were to kiss, say, Kota, wouldn't someone get jealous?"

Dr. Green gave me a flirtatious smirk. "My brothers and I have always shared everything, Pookie, and to be honest, I really like the idea of all of us kissing you."

***

Dr. Sean Green's POV:

Yes, I'm a sick man.

So, perhaps Nurse Sang and I should play doctor...