Chapter 74: Knock Knock. Who's There?

FYI: I'm making Matthew's eyes blue. I've really thought a lot about this and I want deep blue eyes like the sea after a storm. Yes, Princess Bride fans. I WENT THERE. ♡

-Chapter 74-

Dr. Sean Green's POV:

Well, Matthew is a liar.

He didn't just want to search the forest near Sang's old house. No!
As we pull up into Kota's driveway, Matthew is already asking funny little questions.

"Which house is Sang's?"

I should have known better! I should have caught on!

I pointed out the old house.

"It's that one there?" asked Matthew.

I confirmed the house.

He threw open the car door, stepping down onto the thick souls of his black mercenary boots.

"Where are you going?" Damn me! I should have locked him in the car!

I went after Matthew as he crossed the street, trying to tame my white doctor's coat that was blowing with the wind. "You said that we were going to check the surrounding area. What are you doing? Stop!"

Matthew turned back to look at me, half grinning. "You're a real chicken, Doctor. I just want to meet Sang's parents."

"Why would you...?"

He shrugged. "I'm curious mostly. I want to know what they look like. What they sound like."

"Well we have both video and audio at home, hell!" Matthew was moving again and I caught his arm, though something told me Matthew wouldn't have stopped if he didn't want to.

"You wouldn't like to meet them in person? You wouldn't like to see the face of a mother who could do that to her child? Abuse her. Sell her. I want to see if there is any remorse in her eyes."

Matthew's words struck me silent. I let go of his arm, because sue me, I was really was curious of what we would find.

"I think that the sister could know Sang's location as well. If Marie is being abused in Sang's place, she may help us."

"And if she not being abused or won't help us?"

"Then we search the forest back this way." Matthew pointed out to the treeline that went back towards Nathan's house.

By now the sun was setting in the sky. Was it rude to knock on Sang's abusive family's door so late at night? What would we say?

I joined Matthew up on the front step, sliding my name badge into the pocket of my white coat.

Rappa tap tap.

Now, wasn't Matthew's knock fancy?

There was a weird thumping before a grumbled and then booted steps before the door swung open. My blood went cold.

At the same moment, Matthew beamed. "Hello, sir! We are Jehovah's Witnesses and have come to spread the great word of the Lord!"

Time was frozen.

I would have laughed if it wasn't Mr. Hendricks standing in the doorway, his dark, beady eyes glaring down at me. "Mr. Green?" he asked, lowly.

Doctor, I wanted to correct, but swallowed hard and found a smile. Why the hell wasn't Mr. Hendricks showing up on the cameras? Did he know the house was bugged? Did he have access to another scrambler? "Hello there, Mr. Hendricks," I greeted, before nudging Matthew. "Principal of Ashley Waters High School who is definitely not Sang's father. What are you doing here?"