Chapter 24: Who's House is this Anyway?

-Chapter 24-

Dr. Green found us like that what must have been hours later. Me snuggled into Victor's arms surrounded by a sense of security I had not felt in my entire life.

The doctor brushed a hand through my tangled hair. "Hey, sweetheart. It's time for me to check some vitals. Can you open your eyes for me?"

I mumbled, turning closer to Victor, who's arms instinctively held me tighter.

Dr. Green must have changed his tactic because the next thing I knew, Victor was the one gently shaking me awake. "Rise and shine, Princess. Dr. Green wants to take a look at you."

I grumbled a bit, but allowed Victor to help me sit up before he slipped out of the room.

"Sang, sweetheart?"

I looked up through sleepy eyes to see Dr. Green in a white coat. "I don't need you to look at me," I mumbled, then whimpered when he touched at one of my bruises.

"I can carry you, and you can sleep through most of it if you'd prefer?"

I reached up for him, eyes already half closed as he effortlessly lifted me into his arms.

"Sean," came Mr. Blackbourne's voice. "You cannot just baby her now."

"She's hurt, Owen. I'm just doing what doctor's do."

"Lifting her up into your big strong arms?" he mocked.

"She's tired."

Mr. Blackbourne let out a long sigh. "Sean..."

"No, she's family now, Owen..." He said something more, but I missed it. My whole body ached and someone touched my forehead and then I was gone.

***

When I woke again, I was in another terribly unfamiliar space. The walls were a boring tan decorated with elegant framework.

I sat up, still in hospital attire. But a sweet flowered nightgown was laying on the end of the bed. My stomach only held a dull throbbing as I slipped on the garment and padded out into the carpeted hall.

Strange thing for a hospital to have carpet. It made everything more homey, sure, but it would be extremely difficult to clean.

I wandered my way into a living room and was struck with the terrible realization that I was in a house.

A stranger's house.

My heart began to thunder as I made a beeline for the front door, twisted open the guilded doorknob and--

"Miss Sorenson?"

Mr. Blackbourne's voice startled me so bad I smacked my head against the doorframe and cried out. Why the hell was I in a teacher's house? Mr. Blackbourne didn't even seem to like me so why would he keep me here? Was he going to try to rape me?

"Please calm yourself, Miss Sorenson, I am not going to hurt you. Dr. Green brought you here to keep from having to notify your parents that you were hospitalized."

That stopped me dead in my tracks. Thank God they hadn't contacted my mother, but if they were aware enough of my situation to know not to call her... "How much do you think you know, Mr. Blackbourne?"

"Regarding what, Miss Sorenson?"

We held each other's gazes a long moment; my green eyed glare rivaling his steel glower.

"If you are referring to the beatings you've been receiving at home, then I'm afraid to say I don't know much."

It felt like I had been punched in the gut, but I did what I could to keep my face expressionless. "I'm not being beaten."

"Bruises in the shape of shoe marks beg to differ."

"I fell."

"You're a terrible liar, Miss Sorenson."

I wasn't sure what to say to that. I felt like I was a pretty good liar...or at least pretty good at half truths.

For the first time, I took in Mr. Blackbourne's appearance. He was dressed in slacks and his grey vest piece atop a button down shirt. His jacket was folded neatly over the back of a chair.

His sleeves were rolled up and the water in the kitchen was running. I must have interrupted him while he was doing dishes.

"I...what do you want from me?"

"Me? I want nothing."

"Then why would you...protect me?" That was what they were doing, wasn't it?

"My brothers care for you, Miss Sorenson. Dr. Green cares for you. We know you are in danger at home, it would be wrong of us to stand by."

"So you plan to do what?" I raised a brow. "Keep me here forever?"

"Quite the contrary. You will be given the necessary time to recover from your injuries, and then you will return home. If you are in any danger, you will contact Dr. Green or myself. Here." Mr. Blackbourne reached into a black bag and pulled out a cell phone. "Courtesy of Mr. Morgan. He's taken the liberty of entering in all of our numbers. If you find yourself in a difficult situation, you are to report to us immediately, do you understand?"

I nodded slowly, but did not take the phone. "I can't take that, Mr. Blackbourne. It's too much."

"It's a gift."

"Well, I don't accept."

The corners of Mr. Blackbourne's lips twitched downward. "Please take the phone, Miss Sorenson. You'll insult Mr. Morgan if you do not take it."

My heart sank at the notion of disappointing Victor. He was already too generous with me. He had bought me clothes and I know he was the one financially responsible for paying off Marie, and now a cell phone?

I couldn't accept that... My fingers were already wrapping around the Samsung Galaxy. It was so thin... I will just hang onto it until I can return it to Victor in person... Maybe if I explain...

"Good luck with that, Miss Sorenson."

Was I talking out loud? I looked down at the phone curiously. I had never had a cellphone before. When I clicked it on a cute background with pink roses popped up. Nine contacts decorated my home screen along with a collection of games.

I already had four text messages waiting for me.

Victor ♡: Hey Princess, I hope you like the phone. No, you cannot give it back ;)

Nathan: Hi Sang, I hope you're feeling better :(

North: Hey Babycakes! I'm so excited to see you tonight for play practice!!! ♡♡♡ xoxo ♡♡♡

North: ...Luke took my phone.

When I looked up Mr. Blackbourne was watching me, he must have seen something in my eyes. "Is something the matter, Miss Sorenson?"

"Does North not like me?"

"North is concerned you are going to...put strain on our family."

My brow furrowed. "What? How? I would never want to cause you guys any trouble. If you need me to go I can just--"

"Mew?"