Chapter 60: JK JK. Let's Ride!

-Chapter 60-

Kota Lee's POV:

It was a quarter past seven when my spidy senses began to tingle. Sang was wrapped up in Gabriel's arms, asleep with her head lolled so that it rested on Silas' arm.

Dr. Green had been banished to his room, while Mr. Blackbourne took the time to play with his kitten.

The credits of The Princess Bride were rolling, and Victor had his knees drawn up to his chest as he tried to hide a sniffle. It was his favorite movie.

Nathan and Luke were no better, with their faces buried in their hands.

"Hey, shouldn't North and Matthew be back by now?"

Victor was the first to lift his head up. His brown eyes were lighter than they had been all day. "Maybe we should call them?"

Nathan pulled out his cellphone. "North isn't answering. It's going straight to voice-mail. His phone is either turned off or dead."

I looked to Gabriel, who was only half paying attention as he ran his hand over Sang's blonde hair. Silas had the same look of captivation on his face.

"Gabriel?" I asked, fighting off the urge to snap my fingers at him or shake Sang awake.

He looked up at me, finally...his blue eyes flashing with annoyance. "What the fuck do you need, Kota?"

"Do you still have Matthew's phone number?"

"No, I never had it. I just used Mr. B's phone. You'd have to ask him.

I nodded, shooting a smirk at Silas. "Try not to let her distract you too much." I went upstairs to find Mr. Blackbourne no longer playing with the cat. Instead, he and Dr. Green were passed out on the queen sized mattress with Simba sprawled between them.

They were really exhausted, and had every right to be, too.

Mr. Blackbourne had an arm over his face as he lay on his back. "You can come in, Mr. Lee. I'm not really asleep."

I took a step forward. "North and Matthew haven't come back yet. I'm getting worried. I was hoping you had Matthew's number still in your phone. North's phone is going straight to voice-mail."

Mr. Blackbourne sat up, wiping his hand across his eyes before reaching for his glasses. "Maybe they killed each other already. We are probably too late."

***

Back at the Wreckage:

A shattered cellphone screen comes alight as a call rings in from an unknown number. The fires in the fields have turned the grain to blackened stalks and ash.

The warped metal of the black 2016 NV Passenger was still hissing from the heat of the engine combusting.

The surviving cellphone went quiet in the darkness that has settled upon the world as two men on a motorcycle roar by.

***

North Taylor's POV:

It's been a long time since I've felt true fear. The last time would have been back when Luke still smoked. I could still see his lean body, teetering up on the edge of the rooftop when we still lived in New York City.

He was more drunk than I had ever seen him, and was screaming at me for following him. He said he didn't want to live with this pain. How everything was his fault. How he should have died instead of her.

I had been giving the kid the silent treatment since I had met him. I couldn't give one fuck that he was my half brother. Our mother had been a crazy bitch. Crazy enough to leave me in a basket in Europe before returning to the States to be with her real family.