Chapter 88: Languages

-Chapter 88-

Sang Sorenson's POV:

Nathan was waiting for me in the hallway. He was wearing a dark red long-sleeved shirt and well-fitting jeans. "Hey, Sang. How was it?"

"It was fine. Matt said we are going to be cutting up worms."

"You should probably call him Mr. Eli..." When I didn't answer, Nathan hurriedly went on. "But everything else went well?"

I nodded.

"You ready for lunch?"

No. "Yes."

"You still angry with me for before?"

"I'm not angry. I just...don't know how to take you."

"I want to be friends, Sang, so I'm going to do everything I can to get there with you." Nathan smiled then. "We aren't going to the cafeteria. Kota and Victor found a place outside."

We met them out in the grass along a brick wall of the school. We were out of the sight of prying eyes and sat in a circle.

We ate quickly. Gabriel had brought me a sandwich. It was kind of hard to believe I had given him the nickname Meanie.

Afterwards, Silas took up my hand. We walked with Luke and Victor to our Greek class and my stomach began to churn again at the realization that I would be around other students. The class isn't even for an hour, I assured myself. I can do this!

Silas seemed to sense my apprehension and he gave my hand a squeeze. We barely made the bell, but lucky us, Dr. Green had conveniently made a new seating chart this morning and I was surrounded by the guys on all sides as I took my seat in the front row.

Needless to say, I didn't receive any notes that hour.

I felt like I was learning a lot in Greek, or maybe I was just applying myself more because I only had two real classes. Or maybe it was because I wanted to make Matt worry that he wasn't a better teacher than Dr. Green.

I grinned to myself, focusing on the foreign lettering across my practice sheet. It was like decrypting code, or at least what I imagined what decrypting code would be like.

"What's got you smiling like that, Pookie? You look half a breath away from a giggle fit."

I looked up to find that the class was gone. I must have missed the sound of the bell. Victor, Dr. Green and myself were the only people left in the classroom.

"I was just focused. I'm sorry."

"No reason to apologize. May I see that?" Dr. Green motioned to my work sheet. I handed it over and his eyebrows raised as he reviewed the answers. "These are all correct. Did Silas help you?"

"No, I was just focused."

Dr. Green grinned at me. "Well aren't you just full of surprises. Nobody tell Owen. I want to see his face. Oh, better yet, come with me, Pookie. I don't have class this hour."

Dr. Green pulled me out of the room and it was all Victor could do to give me a little wave goodbye.

Dr. Green burst through the doors of the music room and slammed my homework down in front of Mr. Blackbourne. "Owen, look!"

His steel eyes flicked over the assignment. "Sean, this is really well done. You've been practicing."

"That's Sang's homework!"

Mr. Blackbourne's face became unreadable, but his eyes found mine and I nearly crumpled under the intensity I found there. "You did this?"

"I...yeah?"