Chapter 82: A Family Meeting Is In Order!

-Chapter 82-

Sang Sorenson's POV:

Mr. Blackbourne crashed through the doorway looking as imperfectly perfect as a man could. His dark hair was stuck to his forehead and he adjusted his glasses with one hand and wiped his hair out of his face with the other, inadvertently spiking it up. "Well, Miss Sorenson?"

I giggled. I'm sorry. I couldn't help it.

Mr. Blackbourne's stern mouth tilted into a millimeter smile.

"What's going on here?" Matt's voice sounded behind me and I could actually feel Gabriel and Victor go ridged next to me. Silas began to make himself a sandwich.

"It would seem Miss Sorenson would like to discuss the logistics of her relationship with us."

Matt raised his one visible brow, crossing his arms over the front of his leather jacket. "Please, go on."

Now even Mr. Blackbourne took a hard gulp of air. Why was everyone so afraid of Matt? Oh, because he kills people and didn't pass out when he had a big chunk of glass shoved through his eye socket. That's right...

"I would rather wait until a family meeting can be held, Mr. Eli."

Matt gave a shrug. "Suit yourself. Better for me to reprimand all of you at once."

"For fucking what?" Gabriel yelped. "We haven't done anything!"

Victor scratched the back of his head guiltily as Silas crossed his arms over his bare chest waiting for Matt to go on.

"I understand that many of you have feelings for Sang. I mean, look at her." Matt gave them a moment and I looked down at myself confused. "But you are Academy. You asked this girl to join your family. She's your team member--"

"Well, Miss Sorenson technically isn't Academy until the board meets."

"Interrupting people is rude, Mr. Blackbourne. And if you really had a want for dating underage girls--"

Silas had Matt off his feet before I could blink. Matt's boots hovered a foot and a half off the ground as Silas held him by the front of his jacket.

"Do not speak so small to us." Silas' voice was little more than a snarl.

"Let him go!"

"Put him down, Mr. Korba!"

"Silas!"

My hands were over my mouth. I had seen what Matt could do and I didn't want Silas getting hurt.

Matt wouldn't hurt him, right?

"Put me down, Silas. Look. You're making Sang cry."

I'm not crying! It took me a moment to realize I really was. Dammit I was sick of crying.

Silas' dark eyes met mine. Why did they always have to fight? Why couldn't we all just get along?

"Aggele?"

My lip trembled and I couldn't get out the words I wished to say.

Silas put Matt down who strode up to me and ruffled my hair. "No tears, girl. There's no need for them."

"Mr. Eli, we really should hold a team meeting to discuss our relationship with Miss Sorenson. It is imperative--"

"I see your point. I see your point..." Matt sighed. Everyone seemed to relax slightly.

"Mr. Eli?"

Matt looked to Mr. Blackbourne questioningly.

"Didn't you just advise me that interrupting people was rude?"

***

North Taylor's POV:

Uncle had called Luke and I into work at the restaurant today. It wasn't a bad gig. Most of the people in the area tipped well. Rich kids. Successful parents.

I kept back in the kitchen. Luke was the pretty face of our operation after all. He was as good at customer experience as I was at keeping up with orders. There was no need for extra workers with us and Uncle on staff.

"North, how are you holding up?"

I looked up to see Uncle. His face was becoming lined as the years passed by and his once full head of dark hair was now thinning and peppered with grey.

"Good. Just working on another pot of soup." I expertly cut up a green onion, followed by another and then a carrot.

"You are a hard worker, North. You have changed a lot since coming to America."

I didn't say anything. There was no true blood between Uncle and I, even though he called us family.

Uncle really was Luke's uncle, on his father's side.

"Have you been doing well with the Academy? Luke mentioned something about a car accident, but you don't seem too beat up."

"Just some cuts and bruises, Uncle."

I didn't want to mention the soreness at the back of my head. Dr. Green wasn't letting me drive because of pain medication he had me on. The stitches in my leg were coming out this week too. No reason to worry the old man.

"How about you take your break now, North? I'll finish up here."

"Thanks, Uncle."

I stepped outside behind the restaurant and took a seat out on the cement before checking me phone.

My leg hurt when I stood for so long and I knew I would probably need to mention that to Dr. Green tonight.

A couple messages were awaiting me.

Group Message: Mr. B, Luke, Silas, Nathan, Sang Baby, Vic, Kota, Doc, Gabe, Unknown

Mr. B: Family Meeting tonight at 7. Meet at the Blackbourne house.

Doc: Regarding...? I'm on call until 11 PM.

Mr. B: Regarding topics that will be addressed in our family meeting.

Kota: Mr. B, where are you? You just ran away...? In a suit?

Gabe: *picture message*

A photo of Mr. Blackbourne came through. He was sweaty and his hair was spiked up. I laughed out loud.

Mr. B: Mr. Coleman! Delete it!

Doc: It's my wallpaper!

I ticked out a message.

Me: I will be there with Luke. We get off at 6. Nice picture Mr. B. Do you need us to bring anything?

Mr. B: No. But thank you, North.

I flipped my phone closed, taking a few more minutes to take in the sun. It was nice being outside and I wished I could spend more time like this.

By myself.

It reminded me of when I was young. Alone. Running wild.

Uncle said I had changed a lot.

But I hadn't.

Not really.

***

Matthew Eli's POV:

I guess I had been forgive for the squabble between Mr. Blackbourne because Gabriel had me by the arm and was practically dragging me towards the black jeep in the driveway.

Sang had been dolled up, complements of, you guessed it, Gabriel. She was in a pretty dark blue dress and strappy high sandals. More than once on her way to the car she windmilled and hugged onto my arm to keep from falling. "Shit shit shit," she hissed, blushing. "I'm so freaking sorry."

I held the door open for her as she got into the car. Somehow I knew this was really going to turn into a great day.